Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

.45ACP Wadcutter seating with Swaged SWC's vs. Hard Cast

+9
Wobbley
Chris Miceli
Gary Wells
rich.tullo
noylj
davekp
Ghillieman
jglenn21
Amanda4461
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

.45ACP Wadcutter seating with Swaged SWC's vs. Hard Cast - Page 2 Empty .45ACP Wadcutter seating with Swaged SWC's vs. Hard Cast

Post by Amanda4461 6/11/2017, 9:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hello folks,
I saw the link to this RRPMI DILLON SWC lead bullet SHOULDER-SEATING DIE, and purchased one. It arrived quickly and is of fine quality. It fit my Dillon seating die like the factory part. Tried it out today with my first batch of Magnus 185gr Swaged LSWC. Out of 100 loaded rounds, I lost 14 to the die cutting a slice off of the soft lead bullet nose. I use Dillon's new dies, so it is easy to remove the cotter-pin and dump out the die, clean the lead ring out and get back in business. I typically use Oregon Trail hard cast LSWC bullets, and don't have this issue with them. The swaged lead Magnus are quite a bit softer, and I hate to lose so many new bullets just to load 100 rounds, so any ideas on how to keep the swaged bullets from getting shaved would be most helpful. I have a decent bell on the case mouths, and it appears that if I slow down during the ram's seating stroke, the bullets don't get scraped or sliced, but I don't doubt that I am missing something.
One positive of trying the swaged Magnus is the consistent bullet weights. The Oregon Trails, being cast, are mostly 2 to 10 grains heavier or lighter, bullet-to-bullet. The 100 Magnus I weighed today were within 2 grains of each other, from 183 to 187 grains. I'll see how they group Monday. I appreciate any help on keeping my bullet seating failure rate down while using these bullets.
Thanks!
Amanda

.45ACP Wadcutter seating with Swaged SWC's vs. Hard Cast - Page 2 %21Bqo-vGQ%21mk%7E$%28KGrHqMOKj0EuuHFc0soBLwVMsm6cw%7E%7E_57
Amanda4461
Amanda4461

Back to top Go down

.45ACP Wadcutter seating with Swaged SWC's vs. Hard Cast - Page 2 Empty Re: .45ACP Wadcutter seating with Swaged SWC's vs. Hard Cast

Post by Gary Wells 7/11/2017, 8:35 am

Tube's in. is the install pretty straight forward?
I've put this R550L together so long ago I've forgotten
how it went together.

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

.45ACP Wadcutter seating with Swaged SWC's vs. Hard Cast - Page 2 Empty Re: .45ACP Wadcutter seating with Swaged SWC's vs. Hard Cast

Post by Gary Wells 7/11/2017, 9:04 pm

Installed today & can't wait to try it out.

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Wells 7/18/2017, 12:42 pm

I looked at the Redding die catalogue and it looks like the competition seater die can only be available as the complete set for $179.
Is this correct? I need a sleeved seater die to load the swaged bullets that I bought.

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 1/13/2018, 4:52 pm

Posting pictures of what I've done for seating .45 LSWC bullets by the shoulder.

.45ACP Wadcutter seating with Swaged SWC's vs. Hard Cast - Page 2 Reload10
.45ACP Wadcutter seating with Swaged SWC's vs. Hard Cast - Page 2 Reload11
.45ACP Wadcutter seating with Swaged SWC's vs. Hard Cast - Page 2 Reload12

I found the seating dies are coned and slightly smaller than the bullet shape. Either adjust the cone shape, or turn to a cylindrical Id and chamfer.
works for me.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid 1/13/2018, 9:19 pm

.45ACP Wadcutter seating with Swaged SWC's vs. Hard Cast - Page 2 2018-011
I use the powder funnel that jglenn mentioned. It allows me to get the bullet started into the case straight and it doesn't tip.
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 1/13/2018, 9:41 pm

rreid wrote:.45ACP Wadcutter seating with Swaged SWC's vs. Hard Cast - Page 2 2018-011
I use the powder funnel that jglenn mentioned. It allows me to get the bullet started into the case straight and it doesn't tip.

But, how do you seat it.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid 1/13/2018, 9:53 pm

james r chapman wrote:
rreid wrote:.45ACP Wadcutter seating with Swaged SWC's vs. Hard Cast - Page 2 2018-011

But, how do you seat it.
I have the shoulder seating insert also
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR 1/14/2018, 7:21 am

Ghillieman wrote:I have the same seater. Hold the bullet in line with the case as the press ram goes up. Let the body of the seating die sweep away your fingers from the bullet. Not sure exactly why this works but it does.
I use this technique as well. Works perfectly for me especially with flat base bullets. I've drilled out the Dillon seating insert so it only contacts the shoulder. Same concept as the aftermarket seater. 

Jim

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2