Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What primers do you use?

+16
orpheoet
jglenn21
xmastershooter
LenV
Magload
JayhawkNavy02
mspingeld
weber1b
BE Mike
cdrt
desben
Jon Eulette
troystaten
mpolans
Tim:H11
zanemoseley
20 posters

Go down

What primers do you use? Empty What primers do you use?

Post by zanemoseley Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:19 pm

I've been using CCI for a few years, mainly because that's what is easy to get locally. I was talking to a old time revolver smith tonight and he basically said that CCI primers are crap and anyone that uses them for matches doesn't know what they're doing, I didn't tell him I used CCI as I didn't feel like getting into a pissing match over something stupid. Perhaps on lightned DA revolver triggers that are sensitive to misfires it matters more but I haven't had any issues using CCI primers with 1911's.

So what primers are you guys using? Making sure I'm not the only noob using CCI's.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

What primers do you use? Empty Re: What primers do you use?

Post by Tim:H11 Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:28 pm

I started using CCI in a 45. I had no issues. I've been using Winchester for some time now but that's because I fell into a large amount of them some time ago and haven't gotten to the end of them. Small pistol and large pistol primers. So I use them in the 45 and 38 Special. No issues. From my hand I can not tell a difference in accuracy. Reliable... not sure. Haven't had issues.

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:15 am

Federals when I can get them.  Winchesters when I can't get Federals.  I never use CCIs.

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:39 am

Have used many thousands of CCI's over a 30 year period, never had a problem, have used Win, Rem and S&B also no problems.  Not so much as a misfire.  Now maybe I can blame my flyers on the primers;)

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:16 am

Cci is about all I can get locally. I routinely shoot almost all shots on call at both lines. I wouldn't hesitate to use for Perry. I've gotten 1.5" at 50 from a machine rest. I think they're fine.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by desben Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:55 am

I use CCI and S&B. I prefer the latter as they are cheaper, easier to seat and work just as well. Oh and they are golden too! But I used several thousand CCI before and they worked just fine.
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:05 am

I've used Winchester, CCI, Federal, Remington, S&B and Tulammo primers; whatever has been available.  All have gone bang.  The only problem I had was with the Tulammo primers.  I use a Star reloader and I had some that the anvils were a little high and they would hang up in the primer slide because of the close tolerances.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:43 am

I mostly use Winchester because that is what Dillon recommended for their presses. They said that they feed really well. I just loaded up several hundred 9x19's using Remington 5 1/2 (small pistol magnum) and they fed just fine through my Dillon. They also shot well.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:02 am

BE Mike wrote:I mostly use Winchester because that is what Dillon recommended for their presses. They said that they feed really well. I just loaded up several hundred 9x19's using Remington 5 1/2 (small pistol magnum) and they fed just fine through my Dillon. They also shot well.
Interesting comment as I have had minor (very minor) issues with Winchester in my Dillon which is part of the reason I use CCI for all of my 1911 loads. I do use Federal for my revolver due to light strikes with anything else since I changed the springs to enable me to shoot DA better. I have had one round of CCI not go bang in all the time I have used them. The Federals in my revolver are flawless.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:05 am

I have occasional soft hits with Winchester. My buddy, who loads on my press, uses CCI. No soft hits. I actually do a lot of his loading, so it's not a technique thing.

I'm going to pick up a case of CCI for myself at Perry. If I no longer have soft hits, then it's clearly the Winchester primers that are cause the issue.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:12 am

Federal, Winchester, Wolff, CCI in that order.

Interesting, I had some issues in the Dillon with WLPP.  I called Dillon customer service and the first question was "Are you using Winchester LPPs?" They confirmed Weber's post, which is that they take the most calls regarding Winchester.  I found several out of spec primers that wouldn't load in my primer tube in a sleeve.  At Perry last year the CCI was gone well before Winchester.

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02 on Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:09 pm; edited 5 times in total
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:42 am

JayhawkNavy02 wrote:Federal then CCI followed by Winchester.

Had some issues in the Dillon.  When I called customer service they confirmed Weber's post, which is that they take the most calls regarding Winchester.  I found several out of spec primers that wouldn't load in my primer tube in a sleeve.  At Perry last year the CCI was gone well before Winchester.
I been having the same problem with WLP with one out of a 100 not going into primer loading tool.  The one that sticks going into the tube seams like it is over sized.  Never measured it but should I guess. Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 am

Norma then Winchester then CCI. I have trouble with CCI not fitting tight in all primer pockets. Putting CCI in Winchester brass is the worst fit. YMMV.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:01 pm

mspingeld wrote:I have occasional soft hits with Winchester. My buddy, who loads on my press, uses CCI. No soft hits. I actually do a lot of his loading, so it's not a technique thing.

I'm going to pick up a case of CCI for myself at Perry. If I no longer have soft hits, then it's clearly the Winchester primers that are cause the issue.
When you say you get soft hits, do you mean that you think the primers are too hard?
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by xmastershooter Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:02 pm

I use WCC brass exclusively and CCI primers work just fine.  I started reloading using Federal primers but they have been "out of stock" for years.  Must apply a little more force when seating CCI than Federal primers.  Observed this during my initial learning curve.

xmastershooter

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:30 pm

Soft hits: No bang, too little imprint in primer from firing pin. Cock and shoot again usually works. I've gotten into the habit of manually squeezing my primers the night before a match. No soft hits if I do that.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:58 pm

While I like federal in my revolvers,  nothing but Win and wolf for my auto pistol. Anytime you have a priming issue on a Dillon check your tube.. aluminum doesn't Slide well and is easy to deform. I always lightly hone my new tubes with flex - hones in 4 or 5 mm. You can also use pin gauges to test the ID  be to be sure it's uniform.. wish they were made of brass like the old Stars and CPMs. Might be a market for that.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:02 pm

Great tip!
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:34 pm

I save Winchester for Bullseye guns. That includes revolvers. For USPSA semi auto I use CCI because it's always available. The only issue I've ever had with CCI is light strikes with revolvers. Maybe a handful of times. I try to always use Winchester for the wheel guns.
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:02 am

CCI for semi-auto, Federal for D.A revolver.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:29 am

I just bought a 1000 ct. case of Winnie SPP's as CCI's were sold out at the local dealer.  The 100 ct. tray is too large for my manual RCBS feeder tray.  I've got to reset many primers so they are bottom-side up.  An oops on my part.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:52 am

Since Winchester LPP are "Magnum" are folks using the Federal Magnum 155 or Standard 150 for 45 ACP?
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by S148 Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:23 am

How many folks are using Remington primers for their Match ammo, and could you please share your load data?

Thanks.

S148

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:25 pm

JayhawkNavy02 wrote:Since Winchester LPP are "Magnum" are folks using the Federal Magnum 155 or Standard 150 for 45 ACP?

Hello,

Winchester Large Pistol Primers are not "magnum" in their performance.  They are about halfway between a standard primer and a true magnum primer.  For what it is worth, I have used them exclusively for decades.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down