Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bullseye range construction

+4
BE Mike
Founder
DavidR
Swarfmonger
8 posters

Go down

Bullseye range construction Empty Bullseye range construction

Post by Swarfmonger 5/15/2012, 1:29 pm

Hello all,
My club here in southern California is in the process of constructing a bullseye range and since none of us have extensive knowlege of the process I thought I would ask the forum members a few questions if I might:

1. Do the ranges you frequent have a fixed firing line with target frames set up at 25 and 50 yards or do they have a single set of targets and a firing line that moves similar to a high-power rifle range?

2. How are the 25 yard targets powered on the ranges you frequent? Since we don't have power it would have to be done either manually,pneumatically or electrically via a generator I assume. One additional problem with the latter option is the fact that the electrical drives on our target carriers are set up for 220 volts.

3. Is anyone aware of a website or other source (NRA?) that would help us in our endeavor?

If any additional information is needed, please ask and I will be happy to provide it.Thanks, I really any input you might have.

Regards,
Dave

Swarfmonger

Back to top Go down

Bullseye range construction Empty Re: Bullseye range construction

Post by DavidR 5/15/2012, 2:33 pm

Most ranges, except camp perry or at least the ones ive been too have turning target frames at 25 yds, fixed at 50. The turning targets are mostly powered by a hydraulic cylinder operated by air supplied by a small air compressor that operates a arm system that turns the target posts. I have seen one hand operated model that was done the same way except the turning was done by a pulley system where someone had to pull back on a lever next to the left hand side of the range. You need someone skilled and consistent to man it. You might want to take a trip to a good range and copy their setup.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder 5/15/2012, 10:15 pm

The NRA range source manual is a good reference book for range construction. But does not cover turning targets much. I have seen some very fancy systems and some good old fashioned farmer engineered ones. They all accomplish the same task. Face and unface the targets. No sense reinventing the wheel, find a range near you and talk to them about their system and how it is built and what they would do differently given the opportunity.
Founder
Founder

https://www.bullseyeforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 5/16/2012, 6:55 am

I would think that you are going to have your hands full complying with regulations in CA. I'm sure that your club has it's duck in a row regarding that.

One thing I'd consider is that anything downrange, left expose to the firing line, when matches aren't being conducted will be shot by an idiot or idiots. It happens at every range sooner or later. Another thing to consider is if you will need a system of baffles to contain errant shots.

One of the better ranges I've competed on was laid out by a professor of engineering. When a shooter sets up his gun box on a table for the 25 yard targets, the 50 yard target is right behind it.

For shooting benches, another range uses fifty gallon plastic drums, cut in half and filled with cement. A pipe is bent at a 90 degree angle and table top is bolted on. They have one at each shooting station.

Compressed air seems the best solution for the turning targets. For a timer we use one from here: http://www.targettimers.com/target_controller.html The voice commands are integrated into our speaker system and the targets turn and turn back without someone having to manually do it. That makes the commands and timing very consistent.

One of the best set-ups for 50 yards I've seen is the targets were on metal frames and hinged in the middle. When sustained fire was to be conducted, the shooters removed their cardboard backing, removed a through bolt and swung the target frames forward and out of the way.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 5/16/2012, 7:31 am

I would like to see pictures of these clever range designs. Can some of you take pics of your ranges best design characteristics?
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cort 5/17/2012, 9:27 pm

Our Bullseye range has a fixed firing point with an insulated cover and fixed benches constructed from 2 X 6's supported by steel poles set in concrete with an angle iron frame welded across the tops of the pipes. Each bench has room for several shooters. Light screen hangs from the overhead cover to separate each of the firing positions. There is a short, earth berm just in front of the 25 yard line that protects the turning target base at the 25 yard line and the metal target frame holder set at 50 yards. Behind the 50 yard line is a large earth berm that stops everything fired down range. The targets are stapled to heavy card board that fit into a metal frame built from re-bar. The rebar frame drops into holes in the 50 yard line frame holder and then is moved to the 25 yard line turning base. The turning base turns by compressed air from a small compressor. There are several baffles set up to keep any shot from going over the end berm. We have electricity available to run the compressor and the controller to face and unface the 25 yard targets. I do not know how often the compressor runs during a match. I don't hear it with ear protection on. I am sure the controller could be run from a car battery, or something similar, but the compressor would require more power.

Cort

Cort

Back to top Go down

Post by kc10x 9/7/2012, 10:10 am

When our club conducted matches in the 70's, we used a compressed air tank (from a welding supply house) and an air powered piston with a solenoid valve. The solenoid was controlled by a photographer's darkroom timer. Of course, we had power at the firing line, but, a generator could be used too. As I remember, we could turn about 20 targets with this system. We had steel tubing for the upright posts and c-channel frames for the cardboard target backers. Each one had an angled leg on the bottom to hook to the turning arm attached to the gas cylinder. The arm was made of square tubing and jointed so that we didn't have to use the entire length and to make it easier to store and handle We had enough target frames so that we could use one-per for capacity crowds and just walk them back and forth. Smaller crowds meant we could have a frame at 50 and one at 25 and just move the backers.

kc10x

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 9/11/2012, 7:37 pm

I have a page on my site describing how we built a 25 yard turning system for our Long Lake Black Bear Annual Championship. We use a small "pancake" compressor and it cycles a few times throughout the day. The page is located here:

Long Lake 25 Yard Turning Targets Project

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Teams
Things of Interest to Bullseye (and International) Competitors

Last edited by Ed Hall on 9/13/2012, 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder 9/11/2012, 7:40 pm

Ed,
Welcome to the forum! I have used your site many times for valuable information and advice. Your presence here will be much appreciated!

Last edited by Joe Fobes on 9/13/2012, 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Founder
Founder

https://www.bullseyeforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 9/12/2012, 10:44 pm

Thanks Joe,

I've been away far too long...

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Teams