Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will the CMP do DR matches?

+5
jmdavis
mpolans
Chris Miceli
NuJudge
oldsalt444
9 posters

Go down

Will the CMP do DR matches? Empty Will the CMP do DR matches?

Post by oldsalt444 10/10/2017, 6:22 pm

We all know that the Distinguished Revolver Program belongs to the NRA.  But these days it is getting much harder to find DR matches.  They can only be held in conjunction with a State Championship, Regional or National matches.  Bullseye matches are getting fewer all the time in general.  I know quite a few distinguished service pistol shooters, but only a handful of DR holders and certainly none that were acquired recently.  Since the CMP allows "stand alone" EIC matches, that would benefit us shooters and provide more income for the CMP.  I'd like the CMP to have a DR program to increase opportunities.  Then we'd have another badge to chase and have fun doing it.  Hey, they came up with the .22 EIC, so why not?  Thoughts?  Anyone from the CMP want to chime in?
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Will the CMP do DR matches? Empty Re: Will the CMP do DR matches?

Post by NuJudge 10/10/2017, 6:56 pm

There is a Civilian Marksmanship Program forum, and you would probably do well to ask there.  One of the subforums is specifically for asking CMP management this type of question:  
http://forums.thecmp.org

The divorce is now complete, and CMP has stated it is going to offer shooting opportunities this coming year that had previously been solely NRA property, such as Smallbore.  It did the M1A match this year.

NuJudge

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 10/10/2017, 8:02 pm

wait for the new rule book... i can't remember the details from the meeting at Perry this year but i think DR will be open for more events.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans 10/12/2017, 10:53 am

It's a shame that NRA is its own worst enemy in creating barriers to people shooting matches like that.  For example, I recently wanted to shoot a DR match, but as I didn't have a pistol that qualified for the regional service pistol championship, no DR for me.

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 10/12/2017, 10:56 am

I thought that the 2018 CMP rules were out.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 10/12/2017, 11:07 am

I believe CMP is on the 2018 draft. 

http://rulebooks.nra.org/

NRA 2017 still isn't out =[

Last edited by Chris Miceli on 10/12/2017, 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 10/12/2017, 11:08 am

Oh, NRA rules. I thought you meant CMP. My bad.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 10/13/2017, 5:56 pm

It's a shame that NRA is its own worst enemy in creating barriers to people shooting matches like that.  For example, I recently wanted to shoot a DR match, but as I didn't have a pistol that qualified for the regional service pistol championship, no DR for me.

So, just shoot what you have, take a 0 score and then shoot the DR match.  Nobody said you had to have a score, just that you participated. 

By the way, one of the reasons for requiring DR with state and regional was so that local matches couldn't put on one every week or every month just so "somebody" could get some points.  It's supposed to be a process and at least give most (rather than just some) shooters a fighting chance to get points.

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 10/17/2017, 10:31 pm

The problem with that is that, for example, in CA, a large state, the match is in Sacramento.  That requires several days and a massive car trip, which my job won't always support. Therefore I only get a DR opportunity at Perry when the Navy is sending me out.  I wish the smart folks at NRA could find a middle ground, maybe limit the number of matches you can participate in each year or the state can execute.

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02 on 10/18/2017, 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 10/18/2017, 5:20 am

"The problem is that" ....... seems to be our response to things that we feel are out of our control.  So we should finds things that are in our control and apply our actions on those things to create and improve our possibility of success or improvement.

For example:  Set up and run more regional matches, change our priorities, set and focus on a specific goal and train specifically for that one (then move on to the next), etc.  

In other words, even if we can only shoot 1 DR per year, then do everything in our control to make that one count.  Again its a journey of experience, understanding and application.  You will be far ahead of someone without a goal or plan that's just entering matches to try for points (or the "shotgun and pray") approach.  In other words, it does not matter how many matches we can shoot, but how well we're prepared for the match we do shoot. 

Results:  I did focus on DR specifically for a while but only shot 1 or 2 DR matches per year and Perry.  Still got DR #9.  I have not focused on Distinguished .22 and it's taking forever, so thanks for making me think about this some more. 

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 10/18/2017, 7:20 am

CR10X wrote:

So, just shoot what you have, take a 0 score and then shoot the DR match.  Nobody said you had to have a score, just that you participated. 

By the way, one of the reasons for requiring DR with state and regional was so that local matches couldn't put on one every week or every month just so "somebody" could get some points.  It's supposed to be a process and at least give most (rather than just some) shooters a fighting chance to get points.

CR
Correct me, if I am wrong, but this year the NRA changed the DR to sort of a "stand alone" match.  Yes, it still has to be in conjunction with a Regional or State match, but we (match directors) have to pay the NRA $5 per shooter for the DR match besides the $5.50 per shooter for the state or $8.00 for the Regional.  Their intention was to let someone just shoot the DR and not have to shoot the 2700 associated with it.  Before, you had to shoot the 2700 and they did not charge us to run the DR, that's why I always just charged a $1 for the DR fee.  Now we have to up the fee for everyone, but you don't have to shoot the 2700.  I had a couple of DR only shooters at our last state match.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid 10/18/2017, 8:50 am

I know the .22 EIC is a "stand a lone" match but I've never seen or heard of a stand a lone DR. match but I'm still new to Bullseye.

Skid

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 10/18/2017, 12:07 pm

Skid wrote:I know the .22 EIC is a "stand a lone" match but I've never seen or heard of a stand a lone DR. match but I'm still new to Bullseye.
The NRA changed the report sheet we send in the $ with, to show the $5 per shooter for the DR.  We (match directors) got an email earlier this year.  The match is not a true "stand alone" since it still has to be in conjunction with a state or regional match.  The CMP allows true stand alone matches for the Service Pistol EIC and .22 EIC.  That was a change a few years ago.  Before that, they needed to be in conjunction with a state or regional match.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid 10/19/2017, 7:27 am

Thanks for the explanation cdrt .

Skid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down