Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

revolver bullet ?

5 posters

Go down

revolver bullet ? Empty revolver bullet ?

Post by Paper-Puncher Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:41 pm

Just pick-up at GP-100 with 6'' barrel I plan to use for target work . Ive read on the net that all factory revolver are set up to shoot .357 jacketed bullets.....and to get best accuracy from lead bullets the chamber throats would need to be remeaned to .358 for lead use......What dia. bullet are ou guys useing in your model 14's or K-38 ? Have you had the chamber throats remeaned for lead ? ......I need to order bullets but thought I need to figure this out first.....Its my plan to use a LHBWC of 148grs , I can buy these in .357 or .358 dia.....Lookin for some help here guys....as I'm not sure where to go from here.....so I need some help from the wheel gun shooters.....

Its kinda my plan to use .357 HBWC and let then obliterate to fill the throat ,forceing cone and bore .....but like I said need some help on this one so I can start shooting my new toy....I do have some 158gr Hornady SWC on hand and they are sized .358....

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

revolver bullet ? Empty Hornady lead bullets shoot very well

Post by marlin1881 Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:56 pm

I've had good luck with Hornady bullets sized to .358 in my M14-4. Chambers are still factory dimensions. I'm pushing them with the new Unique powder at ~770fps. These bullets are in boxes of 300. I've not tried the SWC bullets but my track record with Hornady products has been quite positive, so I think they should shoot just fine.

http://www.hornady.com/store/38-Cal-.358-158-gr-LRN/

marlin1881

Back to top Go down

revolver bullet ? Empty Re: revolver bullet ?

Post by Larry Lang Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:58 pm

P-P, don't do anything to your Ruger before trying available load data. In my 4" scoped Dan Wesson and my 1911 I use Remington 148 HBWC over 2.8g BE (try 2.7 to 2.9 WST too) For Distinguished revolver matches (my 6" barrel fitted) you must use a 158g LRN or SWC. Try 3.2 BE or an equivalent load with another powder.
Larry Lang
Larry Lang

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:22 am

i agree with larry; don't fiddle unless you need to, i.e. discover bad leading. If you have it then start poking around the various cast bullet sites or send me a PM to get the half-dozen or so dimensional features that you'll want to check and possibly alter. A soft, HB bullet at rational velocities could preclude having to do anything.
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:40 pm

I agree guys I dont want to change the gun....I spoke with Terry at Magnus this morning.....And he said to take my .358 dia LSWC's and try and push them thru the cylinder....So I did ....I was able to push the .358 thru the cylinder with moderte resistence so at this point I know my holes arent undersized ....I ordered 250- .357 dia 148gr HBWC's in the swaged flavor and I will load the 158's that I have on hand ...but I fell the .357 HBWC will be what I use .....Terry doesnt feel I should have any issues since the larger dia went thru ..I didnt need to push very hard rather just a consistent moderate force..so I think I should be good ......Now Just gotta wait for the bullets ...then I can go see how bad I can screw up a target one handed with a wheel gun.......

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by DeweyHales Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:46 pm

I have not had to adjust my guns at all. I have tried NSK's DR load, Remington 148 HBWCs, 158 LRN from Missouri Bullet, and the Zero 158s as well. The lighter bullets like 2.8 of BE. The heavier bullets liked 3.4 of BE or HTG.
DeweyHales
DeweyHales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down