Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Modifications are Needed to Make a Bullseye Pistol

+3
JKR
Blsi2600
GaryWWhite
7 posters

Go down

What Modifications are Needed to Make a Bullseye Pistol Empty What Modifications are Needed to Make a Bullseye Pistol

Post by GaryWWhite 6/29/2018, 12:00 am

Hi Folks,

I should be asleep but can't this out of my head.  I'm brand new to Bullseye and have a question on what is required to  set up a pistol for the Precision Pistol game. I have ordered all my reloading equipment but have yet to get the press as it is on backorder.  Here's what I've got to shoot: a Springfield TRP that has the frame and slide fit where there is no movement; a 3.5 lb trigger job; a match grade bbl and bushing supplied and fitted by Wilson Combat; all MIM parts replaced. Accuracy is now 1/2" at 15 yards per test fire target by Wilson.  Wilson also did a reliability job so that the gun should function feeding about everything I put in it (hopefully didn't waste $150 on 185 and 200 gr coated LSWC). I haven't shot my first Bullseye match yet and was hoping for any recommendations on what other things I should be concerned about that I might also do to the pistol.  Oh, I am 68 y/o and retired and so are my eyes so I put a Vortex Venom on the pistol.  I honestly am here to tell you guys that I'm not out to join the 2600 club but would like to be able to shoot a decent score to classify as a high Marksman.  Thanks in advance for your input and suggestions.

Gary

GaryWWhite

Back to top Go down

What Modifications are Needed to Make a Bullseye Pistol Empty Re: What Modifications are Needed to Make a Bullseye Pistol

Post by Blsi2600 6/29/2018, 4:51 am

Are you aware of the Pioneer Gun Club at Holden, MO?  

That is where the Bullseye activity is in your area.  

Contact Eric at mr45auto@gmail.com for all you need.

Your equipment is more than good enough to get you started.

Blsi2600

Back to top Go down

What Modifications are Needed to Make a Bullseye Pistol Empty Re: What Modifications are Needed to Make a Bullseye Pistol

Post by JKR 6/29/2018, 6:24 am

Gary,

Sounds like you're good to go as far as the 45 is concerned. That pistol will get you started for sure. 

If I were to offer any advice it would be to shoot a couple matches using your 22 all the way through. Looking back at how I started, it would have been beneficial to me.

Jim

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 6/29/2018, 7:19 am

JKR wrote:Gary,

Sounds like you're good to go as far as the 45 is concerned. That pistol will get you started for sure. 

If I were to offer any advice it would be to shoot a couple matches using your 22 all the way through. Looking back at how I started, it would have been beneficial to me.

Jim

Agree totally on starting with the .22 instead of the .45.  We had a gentleman show up for our Indoor State match last April with an out-of-the-box 1911 with Novak sights, hardball ammo and nothing else.  He had not read the program which stated we only allow lead bullets indoors.  We loaned him a club Ruger .22 for that match and I donated some lead semi-wadcutter ammo for his 1911.  When I had a chance to talk to him, I suggested he get a .22 and start shooting matches with that, rather than starting with the .45.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 6/29/2018, 8:00 am

Your equipment is perfectly fine.

But you need to get a training regimen underway. Get some targets and training books like these:
http://www.distinguishedprecision.com/X-Count-Training-Systems_c_175.html

Get one of this book which covers stance and grip better.
https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Pistol-Marksmanship-Manual/dp/1410100200

Go to matches but start training. Shoot 50-60 rounds per session following the book. Shoot the occasional match just for fun and comradeship. Above all, have fun.

Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 6/29/2018, 8:53 am

What are you shooting for the 22 match? Just a reminder that it has to be a 22. You can shoot a 22 all the way thru but you can't shoot the 45 in the 22 match.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 6/29/2018, 9:49 am

Wobbley wrote:Your equipment is perfectly fine.

But you need to get a training regimen underway.  Get some targets and training books like these:  
http://www.distinguishedprecision.com/X-Count-Training-Systems_c_175.html

Get one of  this book which covers stance and grip better.
https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Pistol-Marksmanship-Manual/dp/1410100200

Go to matches but start training.  Shoot 50-60 rounds per session following the book.   Shoot the occasional match just for fun and comradeship. Above all, have fun.

I would order the Marksmanship guide from CMP. It is 1/3 the price. 

https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/778

The OP does need a 22. CCI std is reasonably priced again. The 22 is an important part of any training regimen. That's why it is the first gun to work with in the USMC Manual. What the Distinguished Precision X Count brings to the USMC Workbook is better explanations for shooters without a coach and ready made practice targets for the drills. The Guide works if you work it. To get started immediately you can download the version saved as a sticky in the Fundamentals section. But I bought the X-count version for my second go round and I am happy with it.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryWWhite 6/29/2018, 11:52 am

Hey Guys,
Thanks so much for the input and suggestions!  I will be getting the reading material.  I own a S&W Mod. 41 with an Ultradot Matchdot II attached.  I shoot CCI SV in it. It's eerie how well this gun shoots! Also, am aware of Pioneer Gun Club and was going to shoot my first match there and hopefully become a member this year. Just to verify, I can shoot a whole (2700) match with my rimfire?  Again, thanks for the input!

Gary

GaryWWhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 6/29/2018, 3:49 pm

Yes you can shoot the whole 2700 with the 22. You will not be eligible for awards, but you will gain valuable experience,
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down