Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question on S&W Model 41

5 posters

Go down

Question on S&W Model 41 Empty Question on S&W Model 41

Post by joelaz 8/10/2012, 3:57 am

Hi, Everyone! I am new to Bullseye and this Forum, although I've been shooting competitively for years.

My question concerns a S&W Model 41 w/7" barrel I recently bought used. The good news is it is extremely accurate, but the bad news is the extractor broke last time out practicing. I've bought a new extractor since, but is this something easily replaced or do extractors need to be "tuned" and fixed by a gunsmith? I am in the Northern Virginia area.

Thanks in advance,

Joel

joelaz

Back to top Go down

Question on S&W Model 41 Empty Re: Question on S&W Model 41

Post by Ira Latimer 8/10/2012, 10:02 am

Several years ago I broke a couple Model 41 extractors within a year or so. After that I always carried a spare in my gunbox; I never had to use it after that. It was easy to replace the extractor using a small pin punch and being careful not to lose the little spring -- when my extractors broke the spring went somewhere down range.

Sandy

Ira Latimer

Back to top Go down

Post by KC's Kustom 8/11/2012, 7:05 am

Joel,

Changing out the extractor is an easy thing to do. As Ira said just pull back on the plunger and the extractor should just about fall out. Be careful not to loose the spring behind the plunger when you let the tension off. After you put the new extractor in see how it fits into the cutout on the slide. It could be "fitted" by reworking a radius on the head of the extractor but normally this is not needed.
KC's Kustom
KC's Kustom

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joelaz 8/14/2012, 7:12 pm

Ira and KC;

Thanks, I put in the new extractor yesterday, everything looks good, will have to test this weekend. Also I bought a spare for the tool box just in case.

R/Joel

joelaz

Back to top Go down

Post by eskinner 10/7/2012, 9:06 am

Once you replace your own extractor and keep a spare on hand, you'll never need it. Smile
eskinner
eskinner

http://www.flat5.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 10/7/2012, 9:53 pm

As KC kind of stated, make sure the extractor isn't contacting the upper or lower edge of its cutout beside the chamber by rocking the slide a little with it just out of battery. If it contacts the upper or lower edge while cycling, it will fail prematurely.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Teams
Things of Interest to Bullseye (and International) Competitors

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down