Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A better bore cleaner?

4 posters

Go down

A better bore cleaner? Empty A better bore cleaner?

Post by tvphotog 8/24/2018, 5:28 pm

The bore of my 1911 wad gun barrel gets really filthy with 100 rounds of Federal Match SWC's or Zero similar ammo. I'm using Mil-Comm MC50 bore cleaner and leaving it soak the bore for 30 minutes before using a copper bore brush to clean it. It takes several applications, brushings and almost 20 patches altogether to get the crap out of the grooves. I like to clean my pistol with each extensive use, but the time it takes because of the bore cleaning is ridiculous.

Can someone recommend a better bore cleaner?

tvphotog

Back to top Go down

A better bore cleaner? Empty Re: A better bore cleaner?

Post by Guest 8/24/2018, 5:43 pm

VFG felt pellets and IOSSO bore cleaner. If you have a problem with lead or copper get the super intensive pellets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 8/24/2018, 7:23 pm

Odd...I shoot several hundred before breaking down to clean and shoot bullseye and LSWC. I use the Hopes Elite Spray and a few payches over a brass brush. Cleans easy.
Tim:H11
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 8/25/2018, 12:20 am

If you have copper issues try boretech eliminator.. several benchrest friends put me on it..

Hoppe's mixed 50/50 with Kroil works great for most other issues
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by tvphotog 8/25/2018, 12:30 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:VFG felt pellets and IOSSO bore cleaner. If you have a problem with lead or copper get the super intensive pellets.
Looks good on Brownell's.

tvphotog

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid 8/25/2018, 12:39 am

Kroil
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by tvphotog 9/2/2018, 5:38 pm

Just a thank you to all who wrote in to answer. Brownell's was out of the IOSSO cleaner and they recommended their J-B cleaner and the VFG swabs. The swabs were on back-order so I improvised. I also got some Kroil.

The gun is a 1911. Normally the barrel was built up with a greasy fouling at the chamber face, chamber ramp and in the grooves of the bore. It took a nylon spudger and a drop of oil to scrape the barrel feed ramp, then a bronze brush to the ramp and outside edges to get them clean. Same with the frame feed ramp, and that needed a paste polish to get it completely clean. The bore grooves wouldn't clean up completely even after passing a liquid bore-cleaner-wet bronze brush on a cleaning rod through a dozen times. I settled with leaving some dirt in the barrel.

Today, I swabbed the bore with Kroil as well as the chamber and frame ramps and chamber edges, and set the barrel aside. When I picked it up fifteen minutes later, I was able to clean the ramp and chamber edges with only a patch and some finger pressure. Same with the frame ramp, which made it mirror-bright.

For the bore, I used a snake with J-B on the brush, gun solvent, then oil behind that on the fabric. I pulled the brush back and forth about 5 times, then pulled the rest of the snake through. The barrel was spotless, even with a bore light! It all took less than 5 minutes rather than the previous 15 minutes and a still-dirty bore as a result.

Any other tough spots on the gun cleaned up with one swipe of a Kroil patch. I tossed out my liquid bore cleaner. Now it's a pleasure to quickly clean up the gun after Bullseye work at the range.

tvphotog

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down