Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ed's Red Gun Cleaner

+3
joem5636
brand-new
Colt711
7 posters

Go down

Ed's Red Gun Cleaner Empty Ed's Red Gun Cleaner

Post by Colt711 9/18/2024, 6:19 pm

I have used this old cleaner for years....the recipe calls for GM tran fluid Dexron III. I have been unable to locate it recently. Sellers now have a fluid that covers several of the old fluids Dexron III included. My question; can anyone advise if this new fluid will replace Dexron III for the purpose of gun cleaning?

Thanks,
Ron Habegger

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Ed's Red Gun Cleaner Empty Re: Ed's Red Gun Cleaner

Post by brand-new 9/18/2024, 7:13 pm

not sure if this helps....but this document states that one can utilize dexron 2 or 2e as well as dextrin 3

http://www.lasc.us/EdsRedBoreCleaner.htm

brand-new

Back to top Go down

Post by joem5636 9/19/2024, 4:27 am

Automatic transmission fluids are designed to be temperature insensitive. I suspect that is the main indicator for use and any is probably ok.

joem5636

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 9/19/2024, 12:57 pm

Thanks guys!

"The additives in ATFs which include organometallic antioxidants and surfactants, make it highly suitable for inclusion in an all-purpose cleaner-lubricant-preservative."

The above quote is from the article BRAND-NEW cited. From this quote it seems whatever replacemant for the Dexrons is being marketing should work.

Thanks again,
Ron

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by Fezzik68 9/19/2024, 1:26 pm

+1 for Ed's Red. I made a batch last year, it works as advertised on the .22, no issues.
So far, so good on my center fire guns, but I don't shoot the volume I should.

-Jim

Fezzik68

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix 9/19/2024, 3:09 pm

got the dexron III from Tractor supply, what about the other ingredients are you getting the best of those?, your not using deodorized mineral spirits are you? I saw in the other recipe the same deodorized Kerosene, NO NO NO.  if your in Al, GA, Miss. or TN.  I have 8 oz bottles made with the good stuff, cuts carbon like butter
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 9/19/2024, 4:29 pm

I use the same ingredients only I started using synthetic tranny fluid. Works as good as dexron III. 
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 9/22/2024, 5:27 am

Cmysix wrote:got the dexron III from Tractor supply, what about the other ingredients are you getting the best of those?, your not using deodorized mineral spirits are you? I saw in the other recipe the same deodorized Kerosene, NO NO NO.  if your in Al, GA, Miss. or TN.  I have 8 oz bottles made with the good stuff, cuts carbon like butter
 i'm in Fl now. Over the yrs I've made 2 batches and have used OMS from Lowe's. I'm about to make another batch and am looking for the Dexron III. What are using rather than OMS?

Thanks,
Ron

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix 9/23/2024, 6:21 am

Colt711 wrote:
Cmysix wrote:got the dexron III from Tractor supply, what about the other ingredients are you getting the best of those?, your not using deodorized mineral spirits are you? I saw in the other recipe the same deodorized Kerosene, NO NO NO.  if your in Al, GA, Miss. or TN.  I have 8 oz bottles made with the good stuff, cuts carbon like butter
 i'm in Fl now. Over the yrs I've made 2 batches and have used OMS from Lowe's. I'm about to make another batch and am looking for the Dexron III. What are using rather than OMS?

Thanks,
Ron

I forgot the supplier. but I went online and bought a gallon of high quality stuff, when they deodorise it, they cut it with other stuff like water, I don't know what they do to Kerosene , but you want it to be fresh and of the quality that you would use like in a kerosun stove, got mine from Home Depot, do some reading on MS and you will see what I mean.  good Kerosene should be almost clear, slightly yellow, should not be cloudy like melted butter
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 9/23/2024, 7:19 am

In case anyone else is as slow as me, OMS is Odorless Mineral Spirits
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix 9/25/2024, 4:18 pm

SteveT wrote:In case anyone else is as slow as me, OMS is Odorless Mineral Spirits

it took me awhile too, and I made a batch
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down