Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Victor barrel

3 posters

Go down

Victor barrel Empty Victor barrel

Post by Henry Sapoznik Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:22 am

A friend is giving me a High Standard Victor barrel he had made whilst he was a member of the Army pistol team in the 1970s. I was wondering if, other than the rear/front sights, are the frames on the late Hamden military grip Citation the same as those for the Victor, so will it work on it? (I am assuming I will have to have the dreaded work of removing the rear sights in order to accommodate the original rib.)

Thanks much,

Henry Sapoznik

Henry Sapoznik
Henry Sapoznik

Back to top Go down

Victor barrel Empty Re: Victor barrel

Post by Al Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:25 am

Henry,
From your post you know about removing the original rear sight, and what a pain it can be. If your current Citation and the custom Victor are both set up with the push button take down feature they should interchange. There are quite a few Citations around here and not every combination of frame & bbl is as tight.

I would assume that you know that if you go down this road, you will be the owner of a unique hybrid that may have more personal value, but will not have to a future buyer. If you ever decide to sell it.

Question, is there something wrong with the current barrel? All 3 of my original Citation barrels will hold under 2" @50 yards with any good target ammo and 1"-1 1/2" with their preferred ammo. That being said, I have two of them set up with dots and LSP barrels (1 lite and 1 steel). Both of those shoot a little bit better than the originals (7/8"-1 1/4") but not enough to warrant the change from an accuracy standpoint, definitely not when shot from my hand. I made the decision to leave the original rear sights on the frames just in case I ever decided to sell or change back to open sights. It's a pain when trying to clear a jam in a hurry, but that rarely happens.

FWIW

Al

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sapoznik Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:36 am

Hi Al,
Thanks so much for the reply. You are quite right that the hybrid will be with me forever if I ever decide to sell (and, as I am definitely NOT a collector, that possibility is very real.)
And no, there is nothing wrong with my current barrel although I am finding that I am preferring a heavier gun which, although it plays havoc with my SF has seen my TF/RF jump up. And, as I am still a green tyro in BE my Citation is WAY better than I am and probably will be for the distant foreseeable future.
Maybe the answer is just to have a couple of barrel weights fabricated for my Citation.

Thanks again!

Henry
Henry Sapoznik
Henry Sapoznik

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:19 pm

Henry,
If you want to play around with weights, just try some adhesive tire weights to experiment with. While not a permanent solution, it will let you put and take until you know what weight you want to have made.

If I remember right there was some traffic on the list about someone making replacement weights for the Hi Standards. I guess the originals are really pricy.

FWIW
Al

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sapoznik Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:31 pm

What are adhesive tire weights?

HS
Henry Sapoznik
Henry Sapoznik

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:06 pm

Henry I can get you some of the tire weights. I have some here actually! They are used on motorcycles and aluminum car wheels.

Joe
Founder
Founder

https://www.bullseyeforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sapoznik Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:15 pm

Thank you much, Joe. Do they actually adhese to the surface of the barrel or do they have to be attached somehow? And if they adhere will they mar the surface?

Henry
Henry Sapoznik
Henry Sapoznik

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:25 am

Should not effect the surface, they stick to anything. Imagine a wheel rotating at only 50mph the force that could be on a 1/4 ounce weight!

We need to get together and see how you like the arched main spring housings and get you some weights to try.
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sapoznik Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:32 am

Thanks much, Joe. I am still (grrrrr) waiting for my accurized 1911 to be returned to me so I can a) try out the AMSH and b) some of this Brian Zins WC ammo I just ordered (no, I have yet to be initiated into the Secret Order of Reloaders...)

Henry
Henry Sapoznik
Henry Sapoznik

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:43 pm

Joe wants me to see which MSH you prefer so he can properly fit the desired one in your gun, before you get is back.
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sapoznik Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:53 pm

The 1911 I am waiting for is NOT the one I am getting from Joe; it is an accurized Colt WW1 reissue. I don't expect to see Joe's WC 1911 until October/November so we have a bit of time...!
Henry Sapoznik
Henry Sapoznik

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down