Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What About Those Grip Panel Scope Mounts? (1911s)

5 posters

Go down

What About Those Grip Panel Scope Mounts? (1911s) Empty What About Those Grip Panel Scope Mounts? (1911s)

Post by GrumpyOldMan Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:53 pm

I found in the parts orphan box one of those steel (?) scope mounts for the Government Model which consists of a left grip panel and a Weaver mount rail that looks like it would run about 1/2-inch above the slide.

Worth looking at and using???

I'm thinking of using a red dot at least for ammo development. Maybe on a softball gun eventually. Changing grips on the revolver appears to have calmed down the twitchiness (we're talking 6-ring!) with that which was apparent in slow fire and mirrors on-target results... Resisted for years but I understand much better the allure of the dot sight in this game.

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

What About Those Grip Panel Scope Mounts? (1911s) Empty Re: What About Those Grip Panel Scope Mounts? (1911s)

Post by Rob Kovach Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:05 pm

They work just fine!  Some of the kits come with extra pins that go through the mainspring hole and one of the upper pin holes but they have a nice positive lock over the grip bushings and never moved at all for me.

The only thing I didn't like about it, was it's harder to clear a malfunction with that rail in the way.  It's the same reason I don't like the frame mounted bridge type rails...
They are great.  Use it.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

What About Those Grip Panel Scope Mounts? (1911s) Empty Re: What About Those Grip Panel Scope Mounts? (1911s)

Post by bullseyebill Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:09 pm

I've had a Aimtech on my Gov't model for years and thousands of rounds... no problems.
If you've got it ,why not try it ? The Aimtech replaces the right grip .

bullseyebill

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:19 pm

The Aimtech worked fine on my 1911 also..
even better as I'm left handed...
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:14 pm

Clark used to sell a grip mount. It used the grip panel screws but also required you to drill and tap 2 extra holes in the frame.  It also came with a kit of steel Devcon epoxy and release agent.  You used this to cast a "boss" into the mount that exactly fit your frame cutout.  I never had trouble with it coming loose or shifting and it cleared the slide with a Bomar rib.  I much prefer the weight of a rib or dot sight on the slide to slow it down.  The grip mount with a rib on the gun was too heavy a setup for me.  So I converted to a slide mounted Ultradot.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down