Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cannot see Iron Sights on Indoor Range

+15
RodJ
Sa-tevp
hengehold
bruce martindale
Not Ready
BE Mike
sam762
RoyDean
cdrt
John Dervis
Wobbley
JHHolliday
JRV
chiz1180
K38
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cannot see Iron Sights on Indoor Range - Page 2 Empty Cannot see Iron Sights on Indoor Range

Post by K38 2/1/2024, 9:38 am

First topic message reminder :

Dear Friends,

I am very happy to have a place to shoot again.  It is a large commercial indoor range near my home.  Everything is fine at the range except I cannot see Iron sights well.  I have had cataract surgery and I have very good eyesight at the distance to my front and rear sights.  When I am in my house they are very clear and distinct.  I have applied some of the new sight black paint to both front and rear that is quite nice stuff.  when I get to the range they look like mush.  Each lane has a dimmer for the lights and I've tried that to little effect.  this happens whether it's a revolver, free pistol, or 1911.  Even my truly weird Morini CM-80 with a rear sight quite far away does not seem to help.  I do not need any correction at all to read rather fine print at arms length after a lifetime of being really nearsighted .  I feel rather clueless about this.  I am using My regular clear glasses as well as Decot HyWyd glasses with Light Medium Target Orange and light gold lenses.  Does not seem to matter.

Thanks to All,

Dwight

K38

Back to top Go down

Cannot see Iron Sights on Indoor Range - Page 2 Empty Re: Cannot see Iron Sights on Indoor Range

Post by K38 5/28/2024, 7:05 pm

What if I wore one of those head lights on a strap on my forehead?

K38

Back to top Go down

Cannot see Iron Sights on Indoor Range - Page 2 Empty Re: Cannot see Iron Sights on Indoor Range

Post by brand-new 5/28/2024, 7:46 pm

i'm curious as well?

brand-new

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC 5/29/2024, 6:33 am

Many indoor ranges are (incorrectly) designed to illuminate the target well but only have lighting at the firing point to enable safe handling of a firearm and loading magazines. Even small bore rifle ranges should have lighting at the firing line that enables and even enhances front sight focus, as that is the same need in that discipline.

I have found a 2x2 led panel with 4000-4500k light color, located about a foot behind the shooter in a normal drop ceiling to be about perfect.

In the absence of that, maybe use a portable stick light like the Milwaukee 2125-20 straddled across the lane dividers above and behind you. It may cost $200+, but that is easily 2000rds of 22 ammo you may have wasted with poor shots from bad lighting.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2