Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training/Match strategy

+3
DA/SA
KBarth
Wobbley
7 posters

Go down

Training/Match strategy  Empty Training/Match strategy

Post by Wobbley Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:36 pm

I’m about to start my summer match and training schedule.  The current schedule calls for training between match weekends which are the second and fourth Saturday of the month.  Training sessions have been 50 rounds of 22 Rapid Fire training then 100 rounds of 45 Rapid fire with 230 Cast RN low-loaded training rounds (730fps). The matches are 1800s.  So, my question is do you think this is adequate?  Would you change any emphasis? In the fall, I will be expanding this to include slow fire and iron sights.  

I value your opinions.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Training/Match strategy  Empty Re: Training/Match strategy

Post by KBarth Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:51 pm

Do you use 230rn in matches?
KBarth
KBarth

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:02 pm

Why train by ammo quantity??

If you are shooting well on every target, keep going until it starts to drop off a little, then stop. If you aren't shooting well, why stand there and hammer away for 100 rounds when it isn't doing you any good to ingrain undesirable shooting shooting?
DA/SA
DA/SA

PhotoEscape, samtoast and MkFiji like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:11 am

Quantity is a guideline.  I’ve noticed that my errant shots in a target like this one are now in occasional bad strings of 5.  This is usually a string just breaks down.  The next one goes back to normal.  I stop, after two targets of 50 because that is my fatigue point.  A CF portion is 90 shots 60:are sustained fire.  I have stopped earlier but that’s when the technique just wasn’t there.   This was 50 shots on one target.  My success at this would have nothing more than ten 8s.  These are cast lubed 230s bought second hand and just being used for training (gotta use ‘em up).  Matches will be 180 SWC coated.   Training/Match strategy  Img_0510
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

JHHolliday likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KBarth Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:51 am

I think you should be using the EXACT same load in training as you use in the match.   You can use the 230s for sometime else.  Why train different than you would shoot a match.   That's like shooting a different gun for training than you would in a match
KBarth
KBarth

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:02 am

I'd keep 10 rounds to a target. More than that and I can't keep good enough track of what is going on to get worthwhile feedback.

Lately to get the most out of my meager resources I'll practice rapid fire with the phone app commands and my revolver in double action, but with only one live round roulette-ed in randomly each string. Ammo and targets go a long way, and it certainly feels like practice should; miserable!

Merick

Arthur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:38 pm

As described I would argue what you are calling "training" is just shooting and hoping for improvement. No mention of dryfire or realistic goals a big issue. In one of your other posts you mentioned reaching a point of fatigue, yet don't appear to have a plan to mitigate the effects of fatigue.

If you truly want to train you need to have a plan for each training session with what you need to work on at the time. Remember set realistic goals, for example if you struggle keeping all your shots on the repair center, a goal of cleaning the target is a bit of a stretch.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Arthur Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:12 pm

Ball and dummy is always worthwhile. 5 mags 4 live rounds per. Should be against the turning target, or timer of some sort. Pushes you to get the first shot off. 

It your .22 has irons lift. Helps with the first shot. When you go back to the dot it seems like forever. 

Good luck!!!

Best 
Arthur

Arthur

Back to top Go down

Post by croesler Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:14 pm

I love that you focus on rapid fire with the volume you're shooting. Seems like now you just have to catch the bugs as they occur and figure out how to kill them.  Your target certainly hit close to home... I also suffer from the same vertical stringing that your target shows, in rapid fire.  And your wording "when a string breaks down" hit home pretty squarely.  Thats really the problem, isn't it?  The damn string breaks down and there doesn't seem time to reconnect.  I think you're shooting plenty - the question is how to practice and perfect NOT having the string break down? Watching the AMU shooters, that is really one thing you see that stands out.  They do NOT get rattled. Never.  Strings falling apart is not part of their existence.  So how does one work out the fall-apart when one doesn't shoot every day for 10 years in a row?   Not that this is any great advice, but I've found practicing just my first shot, i.e. making certain I'm firing as the buzzer sounds on my Bullseye Match app, has been a good starting point.  With practice, that first shot is now always a good one.  Always.  Next, I started using the app to fire on the buzzer, and continue with one more very good shot. But stop.  Savor two good shots, quickly, no falling apart.   Do that until you can get two very consistent winners.  Them add a third.  You'll find its no problem.  You can secure a very consistent, and repeatable rhythm this way.  Once doing that, just keep going until the 6th shot clicks.  Stringing 5 good shots together can get into your head.  Stringing 2 good shots together is easy.  So you need to train to get 2 good shots and just keep getting good shots without letting changes happen in how you're handling the recovery.  You'll find you can always hold things together when you're not worried about 5.  And from there, with a little rhythm established, it seems like I've been able to practice, "just keeping going and don't change what you're doing".  Then I get through 5 because I'm not "thinking ahead".  But I'd say you're shooting plenty, its find the training technique that 1) develops the right habits (most likely for you is getting back on the trigger early and never not getting back on the trigger early) and 2) not losing focus on the current shot because you're already thinking about the next one.  That vertical stringing tells me you're getting back on the trigger early enough MUCH of the time, but not ALL of the time, and when you don't, the string gets away from you.  Or, you're abandoning a 3rd or 4th shot at the last millisecond because you're already thinking about the next shot, and then its bad and then things unwind?  That below-the-bull vertical aspect could also say something about "wrist coming unlocked while trigger is getting energy enough to break through the wall".  As far as shooting different ammo at practice vs. matches, I think practicing with different ammo and different guns challenges me to become a better shooter no matter what I happen to pick up. I'm not saying its always good for scores, but one of the points you demonstrate is you're shooting a lot, so why shouldn't you be able to pick up any gun, with any trigger, and any kind of ammo, and be proficient?  I so agree with one of the respondents who mentioned taking variables out does make it easier.  It does.  But sometimes one learns something from the variables too. And as much as components cost, sometimes we can't be all that picky while practicing form.
croesler
croesler

dieselguy624, Wobbley, msmith44 and DK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down