Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KART CONVERSION UNIT NEED HELP WITH PRICING**************

+3
BE Mike
Jerry Keefer
ebrem
7 posters

Go down

KART CONVERSION UNIT NEED HELP WITH PRICING************** Empty KART CONVERSION UNIT NEED HELP WITH PRICING**************

Post by ebrem 4/19/2014, 4:01 pm

Hello

I have an opportunity to purchase a Fred Kart 6" barreled, 22cal. Conversion Unit.
I was asked to make a fair offer for the Unit.

It has the Original Slide Stop, 1 Magazine, and it is in 90% condition.  It was well cared for.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

ebrem

Back to top Go down

KART CONVERSION UNIT NEED HELP WITH PRICING************** Empty Re: KART CONVERSION UNIT NEED HELP WITH PRICING**************

Post by Jerry Keefer 4/19/2014, 9:08 pm

Ebrem;
I have worked on many a Kart. Rebarreled a large percentage of them.. I really don't know the value, but the demand is not great since the Marvel Conversion now has the market.
I will say this. When a Kart is set up right, it is really right.  
Jerry
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

KART CONVERSION UNIT NEED HELP WITH PRICING************** Empty Re: KART CONVERSION UNIT NEED HELP WITH PRICING**************

Post by BE Mike 4/20/2014, 12:09 pm

Jerry Keefer wrote:Ebrem;
I have worked on many a Kart. Rebarreled a large percentage of them.. I really don't know the value, but the demand is not great since the Marvel Conversion now has the market.
I will say this. When a Kart is set up right, it is really right.  
Jerry
Their accuracy is unquestioned, but how many do you see that are set up right and shoot reliably?
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 4/20/2014, 12:30 pm

How many do you see period!  I only know of 1 that is being used regularly.

I don't think they are any more difficult to set up than a Marvel is.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave C. 4/20/2014, 7:25 pm

Locate another working magazine before you buy it.

Dave C.
Dave C.
Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 4/20/2014, 8:27 pm

The guy who I know that shoots one says it should bring $350-450.

He also says that he has 2 Kart magazines--he doesn't know if any other conversion magazines work with the Kart conversion.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 4/20/2014, 9:05 pm

I would buy a Nelson or Bob Marvel Custom Pro II
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter 5/15/2014, 11:07 am

I spent a bunch of time trying to shoot bullseye about ten years ago and could never get any good at it.  In the process, though, the gun safe filled up and I'm now thinking I should sell a few items.  I used to be on the bullseye list; I just joined this forum and was surprised to see this recent thread on Kart conversions.

I have the following:

Kart conversion mounted on an Essex frame.  The guy I bought it from said it had been built by Fred Kart.  I talked to Kart about this and he didn't have any records to confirm, though.

I have two shrouds:  (1) The original 6" steel Kart shroud with BoMar-style sight marked "Kart."  (2) A Dvorak aluminum shroud with rib for a dot sight. I bought this directly from John Dvorak.  IIRC it took six months or more to get.

There are also two Kart magazines.

Everything is very, very nice with little or no visible wear.  I don't remember ever having any problems with the gun's functioning, except with one lot of CMP Remington SV that seemed to have defective priming and several of my guns did not like those.

Without being hampered by any recent knowledge of the market I was thinking that $1000 might be a reasonable price for this kit.  Any comments or advice?

I also have a Colt 1911 in .38SPL that I bought from Dave Salyer.  It is a conversion; the slide is marked .38 AMU.

Last edited by OldShooter on 5/15/2014, 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

OldShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 5/15/2014, 1:01 pm

Dear Oldshooter,

Since the original post is about what a kart conversion is valued, your post is quite valid here.

The last 2 sentences sound like you are looking to sell your 2 items.  If that is the case, could you also post the items that ARE for sale in the Commercial Row section?

As far as your values are concerned, it sounds to me that the price for your KART/Essex is reasonable for a sorted conversion of that vintage in good condition.

As far as your Dave Salyer .38spl formerly .38 AMU, the .38 spl conversions don't seem to be maximum dollars.  Some with finish issues go at the $700-$1000 range based on condition.  (as long as they included at least 2 magazines--guns without magazines don't sell well at all as those magazines are hard to get)

Original Colt .38 spl Gold Cups or National Match versions in like new condition with magazines go for $1800-$2500.  A recent original colt .38AMU set up for bullseye and in condition that showed it was shot in Bullseye matches for at least a few years sold within the last year for just over $1800 if I remember correctly.  I think that gun came with 1 .38amu magazine and 1 .38spl magazine.

I hope that helps!
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter 5/15/2014, 1:28 pm

I hope that helps!

Thanks.  Yes, it does.

A little more on the .38:  It is quite nice, not quite as pristine as the Kart but certainly not "worn."  The front strap is neatly stippled.  It is not a Gold Cup and the slide says nothing about NM.  Dave spent quite a bit of energy machining/lightening the rib and rings for the Ultradot but did not prime them before painting, so the paint is flaking off those a little bit.  It would be easy enough to remove them for a repaint or black anodizing however.  There are four .38SPL magazines; two OEM Colt and two aftermarket.  All of them work fine.

I will take some pictures of the Kart and post it at $1K.  If I can get some more advice on pricing the .38 I'll post that too.  Thanks again!

OldShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down