Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Load work up / loading questions, first pistol rounds in 10 years.

+6
bdas
musky
igolfat8
rebs
LenV
Gunsnjeeps
10 posters

Go down

Load work up / loading questions, first pistol rounds in 10 years. Empty Load work up / loading questions, first pistol rounds in 10 years.

Post by Gunsnjeeps Wed May 11, 2016 10:23 pm

I have a couple of semi-stupid questions since I haven't loaded a pistol round in about 10 years.  The post about crimp was a timely but didn't answer what I have.  I have loaded up a course of Nosler 185 JHPs and Green Dot.  Ran into a deal for an 8 pounder and knew that it was used and listed in .45 ACP until Alliant made a powder for every round out there.  Cases are PMC, probably spread over a few lots, Federal Large Pistol Primers.  Adjusted crimp so round drops into the chamber with the barrel out, then cycled a magazine through by hand.

Any how, I have two questions that are crimp related.  I seated to 1.200 and crimp measured at .469.  First time I measured crimp and first time I've loaded jacketed bullets.  Some of the rounds have a "ripple" below the bullet.  Not at the base, but slightly below.  Is this from the crimp pushing the case down since there isn't a crimp groove?  Second, one round out of the five I fed through set back to 1.185.  How do you keep the bullet in place without a crimp groove.  The other four didn't move.

Just some more info, running over a chronograph tomorrow or Sunday.  Five rounds each at 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, 5.6, 6.0, 6.4 , and 6.8.  6.4 is Noslers max load, 6.8 is Alliant's.  May not shoot the 6.8's.  I'm estimating 7.2 would be a +P load in a.+P case but I'm not looking for that as much as a target load.  I'm thinking 5.3 or 5.4 will be around 775.

Any input/sanity checks are appreciated.

Gunsnjeeps

Back to top Go down

Load work up / loading questions, first pistol rounds in 10 years. Empty Re: Load work up / loading questions, first pistol rounds in 10 years.

Post by LenV Wed May 11, 2016 11:35 pm

Gunsandjeeps,  Quick question (or 2) 1. Are you using a taper (correct) or trying to use a roll crimp? 2. Are you seating and crimping in the same step? Just a couple of things you might want to address.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Load work up / loading questions, first pistol rounds in 10 years. Empty Re: Load work up / loading questions, first pistol rounds in 10 years.

Post by rebs Thu May 12, 2016 6:35 am

I had the same problem with the ripple or bulge in the case just below the bullet base and found out I was crimping too much. .469 is generally ok for cast lead bullets but too much for jacketed bullets. For jacketed bullets I just remove the bell, not much more. 45 acp needs to be taper crimped, not roll crimped.

rebs

Back to top Go down

Post by igolfat8 Thu May 12, 2016 8:57 am

When I used a Lee FCD it caused leading like crazy. After I changed to Dillon dies the leading decreased nearly to zero. Last step was finding the right lube which completely eliminated the leading problems in my RO.

igolfat8

Back to top Go down

Post by musky Thu May 12, 2016 9:59 am

When I first started reloading for 9mm, .40, and .45, I experienced a lack of case tension on some cases, especially Remington's, I switched to a EGW U die for resizing, for jacketed or plated bullets, and have not had a problem with setback since. Also most all my loaded rounds now pass my chamber gauge checker. Your expander die also plays a roll in this as I think some brands will open the case up more than others.

musky

Back to top Go down

Post by bdas Thu May 12, 2016 12:52 pm

igolfat8 wrote:When I used a Lee FCD it caused leading like crazy. After I changed to Dillon dies the leading decreased nearly to zero. Last step was finding the right lube which completely eliminated the leading problems in my RO.

Sorry if this is a noob question, but how does the crimp die affect barrel leading (assuming you're crimping the same amount with both dies)?

bdas

http://guns.dsttr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunsnjeeps Thu May 12, 2016 3:30 pm

Len, taper crimp.  Last night was seat and crimp at the same time, single stage and I should have separated it in to two steps but got in a hurry.  When I get set up on the 650 it will be separate.  I think that caused the ripple but wasn't sure.  Before last night everything was loaded with cast bullets on a Loadmaster.  Also crimped separately.

Gunsnjeeps

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Fri May 13, 2016 11:18 am

always separate crimp, .469 is perfect for your noslers. if you can get some bullseye powder 4.5 will knock the 10 ring out all day long from a good gun.

1.200 oal nosler 185 jhp, .469 taper crimp
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Fri May 13, 2016 11:33 am

If you have room, you could leave the Loadmaster set up just for 45. 

My Noslers are 1.213 with a .469 crimp and 4.0 gr of Bullseye. I have not tested this load in the Ransom rest at 50 yards, but it cycles ok out the Ball gun with a 13lb spring.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunsnjeeps Fri May 13, 2016 12:30 pm

I swapped the Lee for a double barrel.  I always do my work up single stage for convenience with powder.  I got in a hurry and should have crimped separately.

Gunsnjeeps

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunsnjeeps Fri May 13, 2016 12:33 pm

The load is good, actually need to try less powder.   5.2 was almost 800.  Green Dot has very pleasant recoil.

Gunsnjeeps

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Fri May 13, 2016 1:05 pm

Gunsnjeeps wrote:I swapped the Lee for a double barrel.  I always do my work up single stage for convenience with powder.  I got in a hurry and should have crimped separately.

Side-by-side .45?
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunsnjeeps Fri May 13, 2016 5:20 pm

12 gauge.  I have to drop off the Lee yet, I think it is a Springfield (old Savage made).  I am leaving the dies set up in it for .45 ACP and getting a new set in trade.  Lee set including Factory Crimp Die.

For velocities 5.2 was 810 average.  .1 grain seems to be about 20 fps difference.  I'm going to do 4.8 to 5.1 and maybe 10 instead of 5 each

Gunsnjeeps

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunsnjeeps Mon May 30, 2016 3:20 pm

Partial update on this load.  Built a second batch and took the time to seat and crimp separately.  No ripples in the cases this time.  I'll post weights and velocities after my next range trip.

Gunsnjeeps

Back to top Go down

Post by X Ring Tue May 31, 2016 12:18 am

Sorry if this is a noob question, but how does the crimp die affect barrel leading (assuming you're crimping the same amount with both dies)?

The Lee FCD post sizes the loaded round. This post sizing can resize the bullet, especially with thick brass cases. An under sized lead bullet will likely leave lead in the barrel.

X Ring

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down