Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any experience with Berry's Hollow Base bullets?

+6
noylj
Greg Walloch
AllAces
LenV
dronning
Gunsnjeeps
10 posters

Go down

Any experience with Berry's Hollow Base bullets? Empty Any experience with Berry's Hollow Base bullets?

Post by Gunsnjeeps 1/27/2017, 3:25 pm

Thinking of trying some 185 Hollow Base in .45 ACP.  Looks to be a 230 grain Round Nose profile.  Should feed well but wondered if anyone has shot them.

Gunsnjeeps

Back to top Go down

Any experience with Berry's Hollow Base bullets? Empty Re: Any experience with Berry's Hollow Base bullets?

Post by dronning 1/27/2017, 3:54 pm

No experience but like every hollow base bullet if loaded too hot I'd be concerned about the base separating, even though they say no issues loading to 1250fps - way beyond our needs.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Any experience with Berry's Hollow Base bullets? Empty Re: Any experience with Berry's Hollow Base bullets?

Post by LenV 1/27/2017, 4:36 pm

Friends don't let friends buy Berry's. That is a personal opinion based on experience. However I have never shot their hollow base bullet.

LenV
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunsnjeeps 1/27/2017, 11:54 pm

Natchez has  250 under $40.  I was thinking of trying them with the same load ad the Nosler 185 HP.  I didn't know if or how much the hollow base would change the load.  More volume?

Gunsnjeeps

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces 1/28/2017, 7:41 am

Berry's sent me a sample of 100 of their 185 hbrn plated bullets several years ago. Tried various loads of N310 and Bullseye, could not get good groups.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Walloch 1/28/2017, 10:01 am

I've tested Berry's plated bullets in accurized .45's and .38's.  Frightening results at 50 yards....some groups approaching 12" from guns that regularly shoot 2" with lead.  It's the plating, some kind of tumble process that is not consistent in diameter.  I grew up working with Gilbert Berry, great guy, it's just that his plated bullets are for plinking, not BE-style shooting.

Greg Walloch

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj 1/28/2017, 11:26 am

16 cents/bullet?
Powder Valley has excellent Zero 185gn JHPs for $252/2000 or 12.6 cents/bullet.
You can even get Precision Delta 185gn JHPs for $130/1000 if you buy 2000 or more.
I know which one I would spend my money on.

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 1/28/2017, 3:32 pm

Greg Walloch wrote:I've tested Berry's plated bullets in accurized .45's and .38's.  Frightening results at 50 yards....some groups approaching 12" from guns that regularly shoot 2" with lead.  It's the plating, some kind of tumble process that is not consistent in diameter.  I grew up working with Gilbert Berry, great guy, it's just that his plated bullets are for plinking, not BE-style shooting.
I shot a lot of Berry's and for IDPA type shooting the are great but with a Ransonm Rest at the LL they were all over the place.  This was after working up the best load with BE and getting good groups at 25yds.  Had much the same results with coated bullets.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 1/28/2017, 6:54 pm

Berry bullets are simply plinking grade, total waste of time and money in the pursuit of accuracy
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunsnjeeps 1/28/2017, 7:33 pm

Thanks for the heads up.  I was looking at the small box for giving them a try, hadn't worked out cost per bullet.  I'm loading Nosler but my next batch will probably be Zero

Gunsnjeeps

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 1/28/2017, 7:41 pm

Gunsnjeeps wrote:Thanks for the heads up.  I was looking at the small box for giving them a try, hadn't worked out cost per bullet.  I'm loading Nosler but my next batch will probably be Zero
I bought the 185gr Zero JHPs and they grouped as well as the Federal Match ammo I use as my standard as my pistol came with a 1.6" test target using it.  I think I am going to try the Nosler as I can get then from Brownell's with free shipping.
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 1/28/2017, 8:39 pm

Can't  beat the zero 185 fmj hp for price and accuracy. Noslers are good too just pricier
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 1/28/2017, 10:02 pm

A bunch of us in Oregon got together and made a large order from Zero. Price break on big orders is substantial. There is nothing stopping other clubs, teams or a bunch of individuals from doing the same thing. Well, it helps if at least one member of the group is LEO or active military.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by markgrabowski 1/16/2018, 7:39 pm

I've acquired a box of these to try out at 50' indoors.... using iron sights. Any suggestions on some starting loads? I've got primarily Clays & Titegroup on hand....

markgrabowski

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 1/16/2018, 10:13 pm

Try 4.5 TG and see what you get.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down