Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mystery tool

4 posters

Go down

Mystery tool Empty Mystery tool

Post by cavedweller29 6/13/2024, 5:42 pm

Hey all, I bought a lot of gunsmith tools from an auction site.  The vast majority of the tools are for 1911s but, there were a couple for other gun types.  I was familiar with all of the tools I received except one.  It is home made and I have no clue what its for or, even if it was actually made for gunsmithing or some other task.  I'm hoping someone here might have a suggestion (s).  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks
Attachments
Mystery tool Attachment
mystery tool 1.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(64 Kb) Downloaded 46 times
Mystery tool Attachment
mystery tool 2.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(58 Kb) Downloaded 32 times
Mystery tool Attachment
mystery tool 3.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(56 Kb) Downloaded 27 times

cavedweller29

Back to top Go down

Mystery tool Empty Re: Mystery tool

Post by john bickar 6/13/2024, 6:54 pm

Blank for a Star powder slide?
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by cavedweller29 6/13/2024, 8:33 pm

I'm not familiar with star reloading equipment but, I searched for images and you might just be right.

cavedweller29

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 6/13/2024, 10:04 pm

cavedweller29 wrote:I'm not familiar with star reloading equipment but, I searched for images and you might just be right.

The threaded screws seem odd to me, but I am quite familiar with people modifying those machines to do all sorts of things that weren't in the original specs.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 6/14/2024, 3:04 pm

They might have been trying to make Star powder slide blank, but the bottom screw would not allow it to work.  The pin at the rear is for the spring that wraps around the powder reservoir.  The slide has to be flush on the bottom or else it would not move, since it would hit the nut that holds the shell expander plug.  Powder slides measure 4 1/2 x 9/16 inches.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 6/14/2024, 3:56 pm

cdrt wrote:They might have been trying to make Star powder slide blank, but the bottom screw would not allow it to work.  The pin at the rear is for the spring that wraps around the powder reservoir.  The slide has to be flush on the bottom or else it would not move, since it would hit the nut that holds the shell expander plug.  Powder slides measure 4 1/2 x 9/16 inches.
 The screws are offset on either side, though, meaning you could leave one out. Not sure what's going on there. Someone had an idea. Danged if I know what it was.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by cavedweller29 6/14/2024, 4:22 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one that was confused.  If it isn't gun related it would be the only thing in a 30-40 piece lot that wasn't.  Most of the shop made tools I got in the package were made with pretty decent skill, far more refined than this so, I'm thinking it was just a rough prototype but, as you said, I have no idea of its purpose.  I wondered if it was some sort of bender for thin rod where the rod could be slipped in under the screw head and captured by the screw head being turned in....possibly used in conjunction with a second piece I didn't get.  I don't know, there is a lot of knowledge here so I was hoping someone would recognize it immediately.

cavedweller29

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman 6/14/2024, 6:19 pm

Wild guess... adjustable moon clip brass removal tool.

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down