Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tisas 1911 build

4 posters

Go down

Tisas 1911 build  Empty Tisas 1911 build

Post by Daniel Riggs Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:00 pm

Hello I am just getting started in precision shooting and have extensive experience in action style shooting and bowling pin competition.

I am 32 years old and i work as a machinist and have my own personal machine shop at home.

I am interested in assembling a 1911 45 acp that will not break the bank.

I noticed a online retailer is offering a Tisas service special 1911 for 329.

I had thoughts of adding a bomar style rear and appropriate front sight, attempting to use the internals if not mim castings for a decent trigger job, and check the barrel for accuracy in my barrel tester fixture I recently built. (With a proper fit barrel and bushing do you think a 2 inch group at 50 yard is possible?)

I understand the frame and slide are forged steel, does anyone have experience with any issues involving these frames? 

the only reason i am considering the tisas is to have a functional target pistol under $500

I have never focused on this level of precision before so any suggestions would be appreciated please.

Daniel Riggs

Back to top Go down

Tisas 1911 build  Empty Re: Tisas 1911 build

Post by RoyDean Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:17 am

RRA offer combo ribs with good sights for $135. Just drill/tap. Advantage being the facility to add a red dot later if desired. TISAS frames are decent.

RoyDean

Arthur and Gustavo1957 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:04 am

Depending on the level of build you want to aspire towards, starting with a base gun rather than a frame/slide potentially will add extra steps to the process and a box full of take off parts. Not exclusively referring to Tisas, but the other traditional more traditional build bases (colt, springfield,ect) as well. If you do start with a tisas, I would not start with a ceracoated variety.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Grouse likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grouse Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:11 pm

chiz1180 wrote:Depending on the level of build you want to aspire towards, starting with a base gun rather than a frame/slide potentially will add extra steps to the process and a box full of take off parts. Not exclusively referring to Tisas, but the other traditional more traditional build bases (colt, springfield,ect) as well. If you do start with a tisas, I would  not start with a ceracoated variety.

Hey Chris,
For the ignorant (me of course) ....why not the cerakote? Could one work around the cerakote?
JJ

Grouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Riggs Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:16 pm

I bought a service special today.

I looked over all the tisas 1911 offerings at Uncle Lee's, a sporting good store owned by buds and did not see anything other than "painted" guns.

Before I start machine work I am going to see how the finish responds in various stripping chemicals, i doubt this is real cerakote and hope it peels off.

Daniel Riggs

Grouse likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:25 pm

Grouse wrote:Hey Chris,
For the ignorant (me of course) ....why not the cerakote? Could one work around the cerakote?
JJ
If you are going to fit a new grip safety or do any checkering, the refinishing step is a bit trickier as cerakote is a more difficult finish to remove. I also prefer parkerized or blued.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Grouse likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grouse Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:00 am

Daniel Riggs wrote:I bought a service special today.

I looked over all the tisas 1911 offerings at Uncle Lee's, a sporting good store owned by buds and did not see anything other than "painted" guns.

Before I start machine work I am going to see how the finish responds in various stripping chemicals,  i doubt this is real cerakote and hope it peels off.
Hey Daniel…let us know how it works out…I’m sure a number of us would like to see the guns progression!

Grouse

lyoke likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down