Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camp Perry 2024

+15
-TT-
Grouse
Orpanaut
Star loader
Wobbley
chiz1180
Larry2520
bruce martindale
mbmshooter
shootingsight
RoyDean
james r chapman
shanneba
SaraiEsq
SteveT
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Camp Perry 2024 Empty Camp Perry 2024

Post by SteveT 7/16/2024, 9:01 pm

The CMP is running 2 ranges and 3 relays this year. They assigned relays by classification and are rotating, so it is more like it used to be. 

Today was the Warmup Match, the match formerly known as the Preliminary Championship. It looked like rain and even spit a little bit before we started shooing, but stayed dry. The wind had some wicked gusts so 22 was pretty tough. I don't think it's the worst wind I've seen in 20 years coming to Perry, but it's probably in the top 3 or 4. There were lulls during 22 Slow Fire, but they were short. Lisa Emmert won today in part because she shot a 290 in 22 which is really impressive. A few people shot 280's but a lot of really good shooter were way off there game in 22 which makes her 290 really impressive. 

Vendors Row is the recent usual suspects, Rock River, Pardini, High Standard, Accuracy X, Frerking, Doug Hall, John Shue, Champions Choice and Creedmoor to name a few. There is some 22, powders and prinmers, but not any cheaper than current online prices and it isn't  a huge selection.

Shout out to Pardini and Rock River. Pardini replaced the leaking seal in my air gun cylinder for $7 and Chuck at RRA fit a new bushing in almost no time and only charged for the parts ($23 IIRC).

Twisted Sisters is here serving food and the shooters mess, catered by the owners of the now closed Waldo Peppers, has pretty good b'fast for $10 and will make box lunches.

Andy's is open for ice cream. Not too many people hanging out there tonight when we came back from dinner.

It's good to be back here again.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Outthere, Arthur, SingleActionAndrew, shanneba, jmoore, r32nj, SaraiEsq and JHHolliday like this post

Back to top Go down

Camp Perry 2024 Empty Re: Camp Perry 2024

Post by SaraiEsq 7/16/2024, 9:04 pm

Hope you all have a great week!
SaraiEsq
SaraiEsq

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter 7/16/2024, 10:58 pm

Steve,

Thanks for sharing these updates.  I hope you and all the competitors have a great time and shoot well.
By the way, when you get to Atterbury next week they will have the Preliminary Championship.

Mike

mbmshooter

shanneba and SaraiEsq like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by shanneba 7/17/2024, 8:27 am

Found the Warm-up Match results on FaceBook-

Camp Perry 2024 45161910

shanneba

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 7/17/2024, 11:02 am

Wind was very old school
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 7/17/2024, 12:01 pm

Perry Results are here

https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=match&task=edit&match=26474

RoyDean

chiz1180 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by shootingsight 7/17/2024, 12:04 pm

In terms of vendors, ShootingSight is also here, in with High Standard.  I have the booster lenses that will show you a front sight like you last saw 30 years ago.

shootingsight

Arthur and SingleActionAndrew like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 7/17/2024, 1:14 pm

Beautiful morning for 22. Winds gusting to zero, overcast, threatening rain, but never got more than a spit or two. There wasn't even much dew on the tables. 

I can't say I took advantage of the conditions, but had a nice day shooting nonetheless.

About to head out for teams and they are running the 22 EIC after teams so it's going to be a long day, especially for those out there on 3rd relay now.

Mike - I will see you at Atterbury for the Preliminary Championship. Looking forward to it.
SteveT
SteveT

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter 7/17/2024, 1:54 pm

SteveT wrote:Beautiful morning for 22. Winds gusting to zero, overcast, threatening rain, but never got more than a spit or two. There wasn't even much dew on the tables. 

I can't say I took advantage of the conditions, but had a nice day shooting nonetheless.

About to head out for teams and they are running the 22 EIC after teams so it's going to be a long day, especially for those out there on 3rd relay now.

Mike - I will see you at Atterbury for the Preliminary Championship. Looking forward to it.

Steve,

Those Warm Up match results show some pretty surprising names further down the list than usual.  I'm happy to see that CMP has re-instituted the three-relay format with rotating relay times.  The changing weather conditions DO MATTER!  I recall one year when the first relay (HM and M) got clobbered with high winds while the second relay (EX and some SS) had barely a soft breeze.  The top ten or so shooters for the .22 agg. were al experts!
Sounds like you've found yourself in one of those "fair weather" conditions.  Shoot the best you can and ALWAYS enjoy yourself.  Unfortunately, I will NOT be at Atterbury this year.  I am continuing attending to a serious family matter but hope to see you next year.

mbmshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 7/17/2024, 5:46 pm

Warm up results have errors... hope it's not too late to fix

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry2520 7/17/2024, 7:37 pm

Perry is a great place but I can't help but wonder why no one is going to Atterbury. Beautiful covered range. Wind is no problem because it's mostly blocked. I knowpeople aren't used to change because they've done the same thing a lot but why isn't anyone willing to experience it?

Larry2520

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 7/17/2024, 8:36 pm

Many are.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 7/17/2024, 9:10 pm

Larry2520 wrote:Perry is a great place but I can't help but wonder why no one is going to Atterbury. Beautiful covered range. Wind is no problem because it's mostly blocked. I knowpeople aren't used to change because they've done the same thing a lot but why isn't anyone willing to experience it?
Same thing could be said for matches all over the country at any of the fantastic ranges. Lots of matches are not well attended that should be. Many people are not able to make it to Perry for various reasons, same thing for many other matches too.
chiz1180
chiz1180

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 7/17/2024, 9:15 pm

SteveT wrote:Beautiful morning for 22. Winds gusting to zero, overcast, threatening rain, but never got more than a spit or two. There wasn't even much dew on the tables. 

I will second the great weather, absolutely beautiful day. The 2nd 22 EIC relay had a bit of wind but it was manageable. Outside of the weather, lots of slowfire re-fires that caused some delay.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 7/17/2024, 9:21 pm

Ridiculously slow all day yesterday and today. Several slow fire refires. Alibis on every single string of sustained fire, sometimes refired because of repeated cross-fires and other issues The second 900 relay took more than 3 hours. Long delays between relays. Horrendous. Not happy.

RoyDean

john bickar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 7/17/2024, 9:34 pm

Larry2520 wrote:Perry is a great place but I can't help but wonder why no one is going to Atterbury.
More than anything it's the history and the sociability of Camp Perry and the difficulty finding enough vacation time to do both. I would encourage any active bullseye competitor to make the pilgrimage to the midwest and shoot the national matches. The best would be to shoot both Camp Perry and Atterbury and if you have the time, Canton and Cardinal, but if you only have one week I would recommend Camp Perry first, but come back and shoot Atterbury the next year. They are very different experiences, but both are great fun. This year will be my 20th Perry and my 3rd Atterbury (out of 4 years). Atterbury is a great match. Perry is a great experience. 

The Atterbury range is probably my favorite ranges anywhere. It is the only range I've shot that does not have a berm or backstop. It is an artillery range, so our bullets can't get out and you are just looking at the rolling hills of one of the most beautiful areas in Indiana. It can be just amazing in the morning when the fog is settled in the low areas. I'd give the river bluffs an edge for beauty, but Brown County beats the socks off most of the state and most of the midwest for that matter (I am a lifelong midwesterner).

The Camp Perry ranges are, to be blunt, a glorified cow pasture. My first time there I couldn't believe they would hold the National Matches on such a primitive range. After a few years I got to love it. The wind, rain, heat, bugs and every other discomfort makes shooting a good score at Camp Perry very rewarding. But the real draw that keeps me coming back every year is the atmosphere. Lots of people stay on base and almost everyone hangs out on base all day everyday. Everything is within walking distance so if you are bored, just wander down Vendor's Row and you are bound to run into people and chat for a while. There are only a handful of restaurants in the area so you often see shooters at dinner and if you stop at Andy's for ice cream there are a bunch of shooters hanging out in the parking lot like high schoolers. My wife calls it Summer Camp and that is exactly what it feels like. There are a bunch of people I only see once a year, but after many years I consider them friends.

At Atterbury the range is pretty isolated. Even if you stay on base it is a car drive to the range and most people stay at hotels off base and head to dinner in different directions.

The NRA matches at Atterbury are (IMO) the best run bullseye competition anywhere. All of the officials have been doing this for years and work really hard to make everything run smoothly for the shooters. Sometimes I think the NRA and INNG bureaucracy gets in the way, but I can't say enough about the foot soldiers who make the event happen. These are a bunch of people who really want ME to shoot well and have a good time. I've only shot the Canton regional once, but I think it has a similar feel to Atterbury, but with more history and a few traditions that haven't developed at Atterbury yet (tickets, chocolate gun).
SteveT
SteveT

mbmshooter, Bill Mccaughey, SingleActionAndrew and SaraiEsq like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraiEsq 7/17/2024, 9:56 pm

Larry2520 wrote:Perry is a great place but I can't help but wonder why no one is going to Atterbury. Beautiful covered range. Wind is no problem because it's mostly blocked. I knowpeople aren't used to change because they've done the same thing a lot but why isn't anyone willing to experience it?

I'll be Atterbury; it's the only National match I've known or been to. I like it.

(Perry sounds like an experience but, for someone as socially awkward as I am, it also sounds like an ordeal.)

So, as a lifelong Hoosier, I invite everyone to join us at Atterbury. 🙂
SaraiEsq
SaraiEsq

shanneba likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 7/17/2024, 10:14 pm

RoyDean wrote:Ridiculously slow all day yesterday and today. Several slow fire refires. Alibis on every single string of sustained fire, sometimes refired because of repeated cross-fires and other issues The second 900 relay took more than 3 hours. Long delays between relays. Horrendous. Not happy.
I do not disagree about a slow pace, but the alibis and crossfires are 100% on the shooters, not those running the match and the range. Yes a few range alibis have occurred (number plates flying around yesterday come to mind), but I think those running the match are just as frustrated by all the delays as the shooters.

One improvement over last year is the spot checking of equipment with the double hole punch score card thing rather than everyone being inspected beforehand. Much better than getting stuck in a cue with a half a dozen people in front of you getting 12 guns inspected.
chiz1180
chiz1180

orpheoet likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 7/18/2024, 1:23 am

SteveT wrote:

The Camp Perry ranges are, to be blunt, a glorified cow pasture. My first time there I couldn't believe they would hold the National Matches on such a primitive range. After a few years I got to love it. The wind.  , rain, heat, bugs and every other discomfort makes shooting a good score at Camp Perry very rewarding. But the real draw that keeps me coming back every year is the atmosphere. 
You have to consider that Perry was fundamentally a Known Distance rifle range complex.  They adapt it to pistol and Smallbore.  (Not very well in my opinion, but set that aside).  By WW2, it was still relatively primitive until the POW huts were built.  Up until now, very little improvement has been made.  It really could use some.  One of the big draws was the “free” ammo you could get from the DCM and the fact that Commercial Row had target shooting vendors set up to sell those “goodies” you just had to have.  But even that has diminished.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter 7/18/2024, 1:57 pm

SteveT wrote:
Larry2520 wrote:Perry is a great place but I can't help but wonder why no one is going to Atterbury.
More than anything it's the history and the sociability of Camp Perry and the difficulty finding enough vacation time to do both. I would encourage any active bullseye competitor to make the pilgrimage to the midwest and shoot the national matches. The best would be to shoot both Camp Perry and Atterbury and if you have the time, Canton and Cardinal, but if you only have one week I would recommend Camp Perry first, but come back and shoot Atterbury the next year. They are very different experiences, but both are great fun. This year will be my 20th Perry and my 3rd Atterbury (out of 4 years). Atterbury is a great match. Perry is a great experience. 

The Atterbury range is probably my favorite ranges anywhere. It is the only range I've shot that does not have a berm or backstop. It is an artillery range, so our bullets can't get out and you are just looking at the rolling hills of one of the most beautiful areas in Indiana. It can be just amazing in the morning when the fog is settled in the low areas. I'd give the river bluffs an edge for beauty, but Brown County beats the socks off most of the state and most of the midwest for that matter (I am a lifelong midwesterner).

The Camp Perry ranges are, to be blunt, a glorified cow pasture. My first time there I couldn't believe they would hold the National Matches on such a primitive range. After a few years I got to love it. The wind, rain, heat, bugs and every other discomfort makes shooting a good score at Camp Perry very rewarding. But the real draw that keeps me coming back every year is the atmosphere. Lots of people stay on base and almost everyone hangs out on base all day everyday. Everything is within walking distance so if you are bored, just wander down Vendor's Row and you are bound to run into people and chat for a while. There are only a handful of restaurants in the area so you often see shooters at dinner and if you stop at Andy's for ice cream there are a bunch of shooters hanging out in the parking lot like high schoolers. My wife calls it Summer Camp and that is exactly what it feels like. There are a bunch of people I only see once a year, but after many years I consider them friends.

At Atterbury the range is pretty isolated. Even if you stay on base it is a car drive to the range and most people stay at hotels off base and head to dinner in different directions.

The NRA matches at Atterbury are (IMO) the best run bullseye competition anywhere. All of the officials have been doing this for years and work really hard to make everything run smoothly for the shooters. Sometimes I think the NRA and INNG bureaucracy gets in the way, but I can't say enough about the foot soldiers who make the event happen. These are a bunch of people who really want ME to shoot well and have a good time. I've only shot the Canton regional once, but I think it has a similar feel to Atterbury, but with more history and a few traditions that haven't developed at Atterbury yet (tickets, chocolate gun).

Steve,

You make some good points about both Perry and Atterbury.  I was still living in Chicago when my teammates dragged me to Perry in 1978.  Four
of us stayed in the huts, of course, and I recall the ankle-deep, filthy water while standing in the common shower with ten or so of my "best friends".
After learning that it had been a WWII prisoner of war facility all of that made more sense.
In spite of these less-than-comfortable amenities I looked forward to get to the ranges and competing.  Then it came time to trudge through "Lake Perry"
to my firing point and somehow maintain enough composure to focus on my sights and actually shoot well.
Over the years I came to look forward to this agony and my trips to Camp Perry.  Keeping in mind this is a National Guard range and we civilians are invited guests helps keep things in perspective. 

In contrast, the pistol and smallbore ranges at Atterbury were purpose-built from scratch with large concrete floors and large overhead covers.  They were well planned by experts although the eventual execution of those plans by third-party contractors fell rather short from the planned goals.  Corrections continue being made to bring those ranges to their planned configurations.  Those shooters who go to and compete in the National Championships at Atterbury certainly have a different and more comfortable experience compared to my beloved Camp Perry.
I love and support BOTH of these venues!

Mike

mbmshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Star loader 7/18/2024, 3:15 pm

Wobbley wrote:
SteveT wrote:

The Camp Perry ranges are, to be blunt, a glorified cow pasture. My first time there I couldn't believe they would hold the National Matches on such a primitive range. After a few years I got to love it. The wind.  , rain, heat, bugs and every other discomfort makes shooting a good score at Camp Perry very rewarding. But the real draw that keeps me coming back every year is the atmosphere. 
You have to consider that Perry was fundamentally a Known Distance rifle range complex.  They adapt it to pistol and Smallbore.  (Not very well in my opinion, but set that aside).  By WW2, it was still relatively primitive until the POW huts were built.  Up until now, very little improvement has been made.  It really could use some.  One of the big draws was the “free” ammo you could get from the DCM and the fact that Commercial Row had target shooting vendors set up to sell those “goodies” you just had to have.  But even that has diminished.
YOU have to consider the fact that the BEST shooters in the country have shot the National  Matches here and did not quibble over the range or conditions 
The best men and ladies have come on top by accepting the conditions . If you can't accept the conditions maybe you should stay at home and shoot your fantasy version at your home range .
I have always heard the phrase that " if you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch .
I have shot 2600 scores here and don't complain about the conditions.
A match like this separates the men from the boys and the ladies from the girls .

Star loader

PMcfall, Goose and orpheoet like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 7/18/2024, 5:14 pm

Crimeny….

I’ve been there….eons before (1980s) many times when 1500 were shooting the Highpower Rifle DCM matches.  I know what it’s like… I think I have a right to comment on what Perry is.  Oh I did something 

[url=https://servimg.com/view/19147476/534]Camp Perry 2024 Ef2ffb10NCamp Perry 2024 Img_0010[/url]
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

fc60, Colt711, x90rider, lakemurrayman and Dan Webb like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 7/18/2024, 5:49 pm

Everything went much more smoothly today at Perry, most of the relays were quite close to scheduled time. The number of re-fires and alibis much reduced from the horror of Wednesday, and the weather was excellent. Great.

RoyDean

mbmshooter, ermakevin and chiz1180 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 7/18/2024, 6:09 pm

Camp Perry 2024 Img_6010
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Grouse, SingleActionAndrew and sayracin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Orpanaut 7/19/2024, 12:21 pm

Today's weather was nearly perfect on second relay (09:00, actually "First Relay" by the CMP's reckoning). We had mild temperatures, slightly overcast skies, and just a light breeze. Outside of Prelim day, this has been the best Perry weather that I can remember. Also, no range alibis and no delays caused by boats or eagles downrange.

Orpanaut

ermakevin, Goose, Grouse, chiz1180 and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next