Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camp Perry 2024

+15
-TT-
Grouse
Orpanaut
Star loader
Wobbley
chiz1180
Larry2520
bruce martindale
mbmshooter
shootingsight
RoyDean
james r chapman
shanneba
SaraiEsq
SteveT
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Camp Perry 2024 - Page 2 Empty Camp Perry 2024

Post by SteveT 7/16/2024, 9:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

The CMP is running 2 ranges and 3 relays this year. They assigned relays by classification and are rotating, so it is more like it used to be. 

Today was the Warmup Match, the match formerly known as the Preliminary Championship. It looked like rain and even spit a little bit before we started shooing, but stayed dry. The wind had some wicked gusts so 22 was pretty tough. I don't think it's the worst wind I've seen in 20 years coming to Perry, but it's probably in the top 3 or 4. There were lulls during 22 Slow Fire, but they were short. Lisa Emmert won today in part because she shot a 290 in 22 which is really impressive. A few people shot 280's but a lot of really good shooter were way off there game in 22 which makes her 290 really impressive. 

Vendors Row is the recent usual suspects, Rock River, Pardini, High Standard, Accuracy X, Frerking, Doug Hall, John Shue, Champions Choice and Creedmoor to name a few. There is some 22, powders and prinmers, but not any cheaper than current online prices and it isn't  a huge selection.

Shout out to Pardini and Rock River. Pardini replaced the leaking seal in my air gun cylinder for $7 and Chuck at RRA fit a new bushing in almost no time and only charged for the parts ($23 IIRC).

Twisted Sisters is here serving food and the shooters mess, catered by the owners of the now closed Waldo Peppers, has pretty good b'fast for $10 and will make box lunches.

Andy's is open for ice cream. Not too many people hanging out there tonight when we came back from dinner.

It's good to be back here again.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Outthere, Arthur, SingleActionAndrew, shanneba, jmoore, r32nj, SaraiEsq and JHHolliday like this post

Back to top Go down

Camp Perry 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: Camp Perry 2024

Post by Grouse 7/20/2024, 5:54 pm

CMP was kind enough to send enough to send personnel to pick up my scores on Friday Morning!
Camp Perry 2024 - Page 2 Img_0112

Grouse

SteveT, john bickar and JRV like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 7/20/2024, 7:34 pm

So, during this past week at Perry, I am very happy to see lots of new shooters; juniors, females (am I allowed to say that?), and many older folks coming to Bullseye for the first time. Excellent. But, I have to admit, quite scary when you discover that the shooter next on the line has never even shot a Bullseye match before, much less Perry! But, in their defense, I never suffered a significant cross-fire and everything went remarkably well, even though I admit to being a grumpy old bastard!

Maybe there is actually hope for the future!

The overall experience, despite my personal poor performance, has uplifted me!

RoyDean

SteveT, mbmshooter, onlylead, Grouse, SingleActionAndrew and SaraiEsq like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter 7/20/2024, 8:38 pm

It would appear my earlier post about USAF MSgt Wilson winning the NTI was premature.  CMP seems to have had an unusally long delay updating their website.  Jonathon Shue was the actual winner beating Wilson by four points.
Sorry for posting "fake news"!

mbmshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Grouse 7/20/2024, 8:56 pm

RoyDean wrote:So, during this past week at Perry, I am very happy to see lots of new shooters; juniors, females (am I allowed to say that?), and many older folks coming to Bullseye for the first time. Excellent. But, I have to admit, quite scary when you discover that the shooter next on the line has never even shot a Bullseye match before, much less Perry! But, in their defense, I never suffered a significant cross-fire and everything went remarkably well, even though I admit to being a grumpy old bastard!

Maybe there is actually hope for the future!

The overall experience, despite my personal poor performance, has uplifted me!
I was a 1st time Perry Competitor.  It’s only the 2nd Match I have shot in….aside from league night at my home club. For the past few years I’ve been around the sport as either a tower talker/range officer at The Bickar Memorial at CMRPC  ..or a roadie for my son who shoots with ORPA Jr. team. The parents got together and decided that we should partake in the festivities of the National Matches.  Folks on the line were a bit  guarded  , but very helpful with the nuances of shooting at Perry! As a new shooter… shooting at Perry ain’t nuthin like your home league nights! 😀

Grouse

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 7/21/2024, 10:46 am

My Perry wrap up, Lots of fun as always. Stayed dry. Not much wind, except for the Warmup match. 

I knew coming in I was not as prepared as I like, so my scores were about my expectations, maybe a little off. 

I also knew my 45 had lost accuracy. I was hoping to get a new gun from a prominent gunsmith before refreshing it, but the new build has been delayed. Chuck at RRA looked at my current gun and thought a new bushing was all it needed. He replaced the bushing in about 20 minutes. I sighted in on the function range and shot it in CF & 45. Don't look at my scores to judge the pistol. It was definitely more on-call than before. 

My hut-mate talked me into shooting P100. I feel like I shot decent, but once again, lack of preparation meant 10 clicks up and 8 clicks right during the first SF target meant no P100 for me this year.

I'm looking forward to Atterbury. I'll call Camp Perry a warm-up match so all the bad stuff is out of my system now.
SteveT
SteveT

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 7/21/2024, 10:54 am

SteveT wrote:... I sighted in on the function range ...

They let you sight in!? In the past you needed a permission slip from a gunsmith and could only do actual function tests. There was a specific rule that you could not use it to sight in and you'd get the bum's rush if you tried. Is this a CMP vs NRA match/range policy maybe?
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 7/21/2024, 12:25 pm

Yes, was NRA
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter 7/21/2024, 1:28 pm

-TT- wrote:
SteveT wrote:... I sighted in on the function range ...

They let you sight in!? In the past you needed a permission slip from a gunsmith and could only do actual function tests. There was a specific rule that you could not use it to sight in and you'd get the bum's rush if you tried. Is this a CMP vs NRA match/range policy maybe?

The new function range is behind the Air Pistol/Rifle building and the RSOs let you setup and shoot.  The only required they had was to give them
a round count by caliber when you departed.  There was no longer a requirement to show the "note from my gunsmith" as in the past.
That was last year and the year prior so I can't say with certainty it was the same for 2024 but suspect is was unchanged.

mbmshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 7/21/2024, 2:52 pm

So, what were they shooting on 1?
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 7/21/2024, 3:32 pm

james r chapman wrote:So, what were they shooting on 1?
Glock
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 7/21/2024, 3:37 pm

The function range I shot at was down at the far western end of Range 1. I was told the practice / function range behind the Airgun building was not used this year, but I didn't go to look.
SteveT
SteveT

james r chapman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter 7/21/2024, 5:20 pm

SteveT wrote:The function range I shot at was down at the far western end of Range 1. I was told the practice / function range behind the Airgun building was not used this year, but I didn't go to look.

Steve,

That is the range the NRA used for many years as the function range.  It appears they have decided to resurrect it for that purpose.

Mike

mbmshooter

james r chapman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 7/21/2024, 5:53 pm

They also had several days of practice after 2:30 available.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 7/24/2024, 1:58 pm

SteveT wrote:The NRA matches at Atterbury are (IMO) the best run bullseye competition anywhere.
I have to take this statement back. I have hesitated writing this. I don't want to offend the great people working hard, but it is not the best run match this year. I don't blame Cole, Ken, Ted and the others running the match. IMO the root cause is a lack of people. I know at least a couple of the experienced people are not here this year and probably more people that I don't know and the target system is having problems and must be run manually, which takes another person who's only job is to sit there and push buttons at exactly the right time (and boy will we bullseye shooters whine if the timing is off). The end result is everyone is running around fighting fires and there isn't anyone to look at the big picture and make sure the overall process is working.

I am hopeful it will get better next year. At the competitor's meeting Cole said they have job openings and can hire people into the competition department. That is good news, I also hope there can be a few more experienced volunteers next year.
SteveT
SteveT

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 7/24/2024, 3:12 pm

SteveT wrote:
SteveT wrote:The NRA matches at Atterbury are (IMO) the best run bullseye competition anywhere.
I have to take this statement back. I have hesitated writing this. I don't want to offend the great people working hard, but it is not the best run match this year. I don't blame Cole, Ken, Ted and the others running the match. IMO the root cause is a lack of people. I know at least a couple of the experienced people are not here this year and probably more people that I don't know and the target system is having problems and must be run manually, which takes another person who's only job is to sit there and push buttons at exactly the right time (and boy will we bullseye shooters whine if the timing is off). The end result is everyone is running around fighting fires and there isn't anyone to look at the big picture and make sure the overall process is working.

I am hopeful it will get better next year. At the competitor's meeting Cole said they have job openings and can hire people into the competition department. That is good news, I also hope there can be a few more experienced volunteers next year.
Running Matches is hard. The bigger you make it, the more that can go wrong.
chiz1180
chiz1180

john bickar, Danehogle, Grouse and SaraiEsq like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter 7/24/2024, 4:40 pm

Steve, 

I am one of the range personnel who did NOT show up to help with the 2024 Championship.  Hopefully, the current
issues will have resolved themselves and, God willing, I will be healthy enough to be back to Atterbury in 2025.
I hope you and the rest of the competitors who are there this year do well and will be patient and understanding as 
the crew does their best to give you a great experience.

Mike

mbmshooter

shanneba and SaraiEsq like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JRV 7/25/2024, 7:43 am

There’s something about shooting metallic sights that never ceases to amaze me.

Dot for the 2700? Very consistent performance across the board.

Irons for P100, NTI, and NTT?  I tank the short line in P100, shoot high non-Distinguished in the NTI, and tank the short line in the NTT.  Apparently my hand-eye coordination is conditioned on overhead midday lighting.

Last edited by JRV on 7/25/2024, 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total

JRV

Packeagle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 7/25/2024, 8:20 am

JRV wrote:Theres something about shooting metallic sights that never ceases to amaze me.

Irons for P100, NTI, and NTT?  I tank the short line in P100, shoot high non-Distinguished in the NTI, and tank the short line in the NTT.  Apparently my hand-eye coordination is conditioned on overhead midday lighting.
Not knowing what you typically shoot, I would bet you spend most of your time on dots and when you shoot metallic the conditions you train are not highly varied. I shot metallic part of the prelim match, in teams, and P100/NTI/NTT. It was a good wake up call to shoot under the variable light conditions over that time. When the light is perfect though, it almost seems like cheating.
chiz1180
chiz1180

JRV likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JRV 7/25/2024, 10:34 am

The only irons I shoot with any regularity are riding the topstrap of an air pistol.

JRV

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter 7/26/2024, 12:03 pm

JRV wrote:There’s something about shooting metallic sights that never ceases to amaze me.

JRV,

What you describe is exactly the point I made a few weeks ago about Camp Perry and iron sights.  1st relay at 0700 has sun coming from around
3:00 o'clock.  As the day progresses the sun moves behind you for the NTI and slightly over your left shoulder for the NTT.

My advice at that time was to PRACTICE shooting your irons with varying sun positions as you will encounter at Perry.  Make sure you jot the info
down and bring it with you to Perry.

Getting that P100 tab isn't supposed to be easy!  Making the cut in the NTI isn't either.  Mastering your iron sights is a huge help.  Executing every
shot is an even bigger help.

Mike

mbmshooter

JRV and SaraiEsq like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ermakevin 8/2/2024, 1:21 pm

fun was had by all 
another good year, and lots of ammo. lol
ermakevin
ermakevin

Back to top Go down

Post by croesler 8/3/2024, 8:04 am

How many shooters/competitors turned up at Atterbury this year (2024) and shot the full 2700 with two/three guns and not just .22, distinguished revolver or EIC?
croesler
croesler

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman 8/3/2024, 8:31 am

58 competitors, based on the results posted on the NRA website.

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 8/3/2024, 9:12 am

58 posted scores for the regular 2700 Championship
10 competitors in 22 Only

I heard there were 71 entries, but suppose a few people didn't show up
SteveT
SteveT

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraiEsq 8/3/2024, 11:52 am

I know there were 71 firing points set up for use by the last day; they had to set up a few more during the week. I remember hearing one shooter left after the first day, although I don't know for sure who or why.
SaraiEsq
SaraiEsq

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2