Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lost Firing Pin Plunger Spring?

5 posters

Go down

Lost Firing Pin Plunger Spring? Empty Lost Firing Pin Plunger Spring?

Post by DonBrummer 8/31/2015, 12:36 pm

I was cleaning my gun and there was a load of crud around the extractor and firing pin.  Try as I might to clean it up to my liking I was unsuccessful.  So I decided to remove the firing pin and extractor.  I got everything squeaky clean and put it back together without any issues.  (Here its comes) But now I noticed there is no tension on the firing pin plunger. When I invert the slide you can hear it flopping around.  If I remove the firing pin I can see how the mechanical action works by pushing up on the plunger.  I can see and manually operate the plunger to allow the firing pin to fully engage the primer.
My questions and problem. I cant figure out how to remove the plunger or understand how on earth I managed to lose the spring.  It didn’t come out of the slide when I removed the firing pin stop(12), the firing pin(9) & spring(11), or the extractor(Cool.  At least not that I saw or heard.  Its not on or around my bench.  On top of that Brownells doesn’t have any in stock.  Suggestions?  Comments? Advice?  Since I plan to replace the spring(32) should I also replace the plunger(10)

Reference – IPB – item 32 – This is what I suspect is lost  - http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/action-parts/firing-pin-parts/firing-pin-springs/.aspx/sid=141/schematicsdetail/Colt-1911-Government-Models#s10526sid141 

When dry firing everything appears to work properly.  My plan is to insert a brass case with a new primer installed (no bullet or powder) and see if it goes bang.  Anything wrong with that idea? 
DonBrummer
DonBrummer

Back to top Go down

Lost Firing Pin Plunger Spring? Empty Re: Lost Firing Pin Plunger Spring?

Post by Rob Kovach 8/31/2015, 4:32 pm

Item number 32 is for a series 80 only. is your 1911 a series 80?
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins 8/31/2015, 4:40 pm

Been awhile since I removed the series 80 guts from my Remington 1911(and no, it is not a BE gun, so no rules broken Smile

If I remember correctly you need to push in on the plunger a bit and then it releases the firing pin for removal.
If the pin did not come out, I do not know how you lost the spring below it ???
For test firing I just take a lead pencil and drop it into the bore with the eraser end down.
Fire it and it usually has the momentum to strike the ceiling from a seated position a few feet from the floor.

Clarence
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by Olde Pilot 8/31/2015, 5:01 pm

To remove series 80 firing pin, the plunger is depressed which allows the firing pin & spring to pop out. The firing pin plunger is held in by the extractor. Therefore, depressing the plunger allows the extractor to be removed. Then, the plunger and spring will pop out. The only way to lose the spring is for the plunger to pop out when the extractor is removed. Springs are available often on ebay and Amazon among others. When looking on line for the spring, be sure you're looking at the firing pin plunger spring NOT the safety plunger spring.

Olde Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by kwixdraw 8/31/2015, 5:09 pm

I believe that Cylinder And Slide has replacement springs and if you are interested in slicking up the works a little they have a TiN coated plunger and levers too. That's assuming they are the same in a Remington as in a Colt Series 80.
kwixdraw
kwixdraw

Back to top Go down

Post by DonBrummer 8/31/2015, 5:12 pm

Its a Kimber Gold Match II which has the fire block safety.  The manual is a PDF http://www.kimberamerica.com/media/wysiwyg/manual-download/1911Fullsize45.pdf.  On pages 34/35 its referenced by parts 39 & 40.  It appears the assembly is via the top of the slide and under the rear sight.  I don't have a rear sight as it was removed when the scope rail was installed.  They reference an illustration on page 12 that describes the firing pin block.  I guess, I'll have to pull the ultra dot off and see whats under there. Still can't imagine where the damn spring went.  Such is the nature of springs under tension....  

The beavertail safety grip works normally but I have noticed that if I hold the gun upside down I can dry fire it without engaging the grip safety.  I guess that's the whole reason for the spring.... I've never seen anyone try to fire an inverted gun, but one can never underestimate the stupidity of the human species. 
lol!
DonBrummer
DonBrummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Olde Pilot 8/31/2015, 5:29 pm

OK now we all know it's a Kimber and you have identified the spring in question. Only way to lose that spring is for you or your "gunsmith" to have lost it when removing the rear sight for the rail installation. Really should put in a sight blank to retain the spring. Or, do what I do: shorten the rail and keep the rear sight in place.

Olde Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down