Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone have experience with Dave Salyer.

+11
mikemyers
Ed Hall
Dr.Don
Bubba Blaster
Wmvdg123
john bickar
Hawkja
Steve B
Multiracer
messenger
zanemoseley
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Anyone have experience with Dave Salyer. Empty Anyone have experience with Dave Salyer.

Post by zanemoseley 6/18/2018, 4:42 pm

I'm looking at a used 9mm built by Dave Salyer. I'm going to go look at it this week to inspect and will ask to at least sand bag the pistol before buying. But I'm curious what kind of experiences you guys have had with Salyer, I've heard his name but never seen his pistols in hand.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Anyone have experience with Dave Salyer. Empty Re: Anyone have experience with Dave Salyer.

Post by messenger 6/18/2018, 4:49 pm

I have had Dave build a few pistols for me. I have never had a bad experience. He has always done great work for me.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Anyone have experience with Dave Salyer. Empty Re: Anyone have experience with Dave Salyer.

Post by Multiracer 6/18/2018, 6:44 pm

I have two built by Dave and have had some refit and repairs done also.
No gripes from me.
Ron

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B 6/18/2018, 7:04 pm

I had Dave build a pistol for me and was completely dissatisfied with it.  But, others have had good luck...

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 6/18/2018, 7:40 pm

Steve, what issues did you have (customer service, workmanship, accuracy, reliability)? Might help others understand your experience.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawkja 6/18/2018, 10:29 pm

He built a .45 Wad gun for me, that's very reliable. He's great to work with.

Hawkja

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 6/18/2018, 10:40 pm

Dave built a .45 for me. His work was extremely reasonably priced, his turnaround time was faster than promised, and the gun shot 1.2” at 50 yards (in my Random Rest test, not the gunsmith’s).

Another satisfied customer here.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Wmvdg123 6/18/2018, 11:12 pm

He is great, very responsive, gave me a bunch of tips, you can see some of his concepts such as area aiming on the forums.

Wmvdg123

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba Blaster 6/19/2018, 8:21 am

Steve B wrote:I had Dave build a pistol for me and was completely dissatisfied with it.  But, others have had good luck...
Steve B,
Would you care to share some details with us ?

Bubba Blaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don 6/19/2018, 8:59 am

I shot with Dave on some of the Virginia State teams in the 80's.  I remember him as a nice guy and knowledgeable.  Not sure he was building guns commercially then.  Have not personally had any work done since I do most of it myself.  Am not aware of any discontent on his work.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 6/19/2018, 10:24 am

I've had some minor work done over the years to include him evaluating and refreshing a .45 wad gun.  He determined it needed a new bushing and new firing pin block.  Both were a bit tight when returned, but the very next match I fired my all time high score, helped by 100 - 98 - 100 for the Center Fire Slow Fire targets and similar for the .45 Slow Fires.  The .22 was the low gun that day.  As mentioned earlier, it was a fast turn-a-round with reasonable pricing.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 6/19/2018, 11:58 am

The only negative thing I have ever heard, is that he puts his name on the slide when he builds a gun.  Sure doesn't bother me - I'm fine with my gun having his name there.  If it was a choice, I'd have asked for him to do so.

He's a good guy, very helpful, and I've posted some of his articles here on the forum.  He told me if my gun ever needs refreshing, he'll take care of that, but it's working just fine.  The person I bought it from also loved the gun, but wanted to build something fancier himself.  

If I knew "then" what I know "now", I'd never have bought my Les Baer Premiere II, and I'd most likely have one of his guns (had I known who he was) - but then I also think Jon is a genius when it comes to bullseye guns.  If I were buying a new bullseye gun tomorrow, it would be a choice of only those two.

Last edited by mikemyers on 6/19/2018, 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : my fingers typed "barrel" when they should have typed "slide". Oops......)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot 6/19/2018, 12:54 pm

mikemyers wrote:... he puts his name on the barrel ...

Barrel or slide?

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 6/19/2018, 12:58 pm

oops, slide!!!!!   I will edit that.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 6/19/2018, 12:59 pm

The Salyer guns i've seen are the Kart Xact Fit with kart bushing. The guns i've seen built by him ransomed as well as guns much more expensive than his.

Last edited by Chris Miceli on 6/19/2018, 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 6/19/2018, 2:32 pm

Chris Miceli wrote:The Salyer guns i've seen are the Kart Xact Fit with kart bushing. The guns i've seen built by him ransomed as well as guns much more expressive than his.
expensiver too.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 6/19/2018, 3:31 pm

john bickar wrote:
Chris Miceli wrote:The Salyer guns i've seen are the Kart Xact Fit with kart bushing. The guns i've seen built by him ransomed as well as guns much more expressive than his.
expensiver too.

Maybe it’s time to upgrade from an iPhone 5. I keep goomba stombin this keyboard

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Anyone have experience with Dave Salyer. Empty I've had him work over two .45 1911 pistols and one Beretta 92

Post by NuJudge 6/19/2018, 4:11 pm

I am entirely pleased with his work.  The pistols shoot better than I can, but until I get my Ransom rest together and figure out how it works, that's all I can say.  

He is very quick, for a pistol smith.  He has a good idea what will shoot well in a pistol he works on.

NuJudge

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B 6/19/2018, 7:13 pm

zanemoseley wrote:Steve, what issues did you have (customer service, workmanship, accuracy, reliability)? Might help others understand your experience.

Workmanship and accuracy, I'd prefer to leave it at that.  Other's have had great experiences which I'm glad to hear.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 6/19/2018, 8:38 pm

Chris Miceli wrote:
john bickar wrote:
expensiver too.

Maybe it’s time to upgrade from an iPhone 5. I keep goomba stombin this keyboard

You know that you don't have to wear mittens all the time in the lower 48, right?
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 6/19/2018, 8:40 pm

Steve B wrote:
zanemoseley wrote:Steve, what issues did you have (customer service, workmanship, accuracy, reliability)? Might help others understand your experience.

Workmanship and accuracy, I'd prefer to leave it at that.  Other's have had great experiences which I'm glad to hear.

Fair enough; thanks for your honesty and civility.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 6/19/2018, 9:09 pm

(Regarding the above comments on keyboards, Apple has a "helpful" program that changes what it thinks are typos into a more appropriate word that you might have meant to type.  I think this is based on computer memory of what you've written before, and the dictionary spelling - but it doesn't show that it did this, you the user thinks he posted something correctly.  One of these days Apple will highlight what it has done, so people can check it.  It does the same thing on the latest iPhone X and on my MacBook Pro.)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 6/19/2018, 9:39 pm

You can turn Apple’s autocorrect off.

I have disabled it on all of my devices, because I never make misteaks.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet 6/20/2018, 2:47 am

I have 2 Salyers, they are top notch. He's as honest and straightforward as they come. I recommend him without hesitation. (Note my profile picture>>>>>
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 6/20/2018, 6:26 am

john bickar wrote:You can turn Apple’s autocorrect off.

I have disabled it on all of my devices, because I never make misteaks.
tasty

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next