Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alliant Bullseye seems to be gone. Any suggestions on what to try next?

+18
243winxb
Tallthinliar
jglenn21
messenger
S148
Zippy
fc60
BE Mike
14S&W
Texasref
troystaten
Allen Barnett
Wobbley
Multiracer
chiz1180
james r chapman
Rush223
Sunil P Verma
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Alliant Bullseye seems to be gone.  Any suggestions on what to try next? Empty Alliant Bullseye seems to be gone. Any suggestions on what to try next?

Post by Sunil P Verma Sun Sep 01, 2024 3:21 pm

I am finally out of my supply of Bullseye powder.  I am loading 45ACP with Zero 185 gr LSWCHP and 185 gr JHP bullets primarily.   I also load for Distinguished Revolver 38 spl 158 gr SWC Zero bullets also.  I also load some 200 gr RN bullets for the occasional steel match but super accuracy is not an issue.

It seems like Titegroup, WST, W231, and N310 are the most readily available powders.   I am leaning toward buying 8 lbs of the Titegroup as it appears in old posts that it is roughly equivalent to Bullseye.  There also seem to be a lot of pet loads with WST powder but I don't know anyone who uses it personally.

Any input on the WST, W231, and N310 powders for Bullseye.  I've also seen recommendations for Clays but it does not seem to be available at this time.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Sunil P Verma on Sun Sep 01, 2024 4:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

Sunil P Verma

Back to top Go down

Alliant Bullseye seems to be gone.  Any suggestions on what to try next? Empty Re: Alliant Bullseye seems to be gone. Any suggestions on what to try next?

Post by Rush223 Sun Sep 01, 2024 3:37 pm

I’ve used Titegroup a lot when BE was not available. I generally reduce Titegroup loads by a couple of grains compared to BE.  I also use Titegroup for mild 38 Super bullseye loads. I think Titegroup is cleaner burning than BE but pretty much interchangeable within a couple of grains for mild bullseye loads. I like N320 for mild 9mm bullseye loads but haven’t used N310 very much. 
Rush

Rush223

Back to top Go down

Alliant Bullseye seems to be gone.  Any suggestions on what to try next? Empty Re: Alliant Bullseye seems to be gone. Any suggestions on what to try next?

Post by james r chapman Sun Sep 01, 2024 4:15 pm

WST seems to be the go to powder now. 4.3 gr and the 185 lswc bullet. works with 160-200 grainers.
load pretty much the same as your BE loads.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Richard Ashmore and Multiracer like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunil P Verma Sun Sep 01, 2024 4:30 pm

james r chapman wrote:WST seems to be the go to powder now. 4.3 gr and the 185 lswc bullet. works with 160-200 grainers.
load pretty much the same as your BE loads.

So you also use it for DR loads with 158 gr bullets.   How is it better than Titegroup.

Sunil P Verma

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sun Sep 01, 2024 4:43 pm

I use 231 and/or Trailboss for 158 gr DR loads.
I recall WST has a wider loading range for a multitude of bullet weights. Besides, J. B suggested it.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Sun Sep 01, 2024 4:51 pm

I like n310 in 45 and WST or titegroup in 38. I am not a fan of using the same weight charge with different powders without a load development process, each powder is different, you can leave a lot on the table if you don't do some rudimentary testing. WST works in 45 but I found bullseye was a better option for my use (this was back when availability was better).
chiz1180
chiz1180

DK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer Sun Sep 01, 2024 5:58 pm

james r chapman wrote:I use 231 and/or Trailboss for 158 gr DR loads.
I recall WST has a wider loading range for a multitude of bullet weights. Besides, J. B suggested it.
No more Trail Boss.

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sun Sep 01, 2024 5:59 pm

In my testing, there was no real difference between 452AA and Bullseye loaded wit 200:SWC cast bullets.   WST replaced 452AA and my experience with WST in 38 Spl indicates that the best load will be within a tenth grain or two of your Bullseye load.  Powder measure settings are similar. Not so with Titegroup.  TiteGroup is very dense compared to Bullseye.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett Sun Sep 01, 2024 7:00 pm

If you can find anyone stocking Vectan Powders made by Nobel Sports in Germany try Ba10 for your 45 and Ba 9 1/2 for your 38.  I got the last that Grafs Reloading Supercenter in Mexico Missouri had.  This stuff is very clean burning and measures like a ball powder even though it is listed as a stick powder.  Brian Enos of the three gun crowd talked it up during the 2008 powder shortages on Target Talk was where I got information about this being a great replacement for Bullseye.  Loading data is somewhat limited but available for most applications.

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Sun Sep 01, 2024 7:10 pm

I have always used HP-38/W-231 when Bullseye was not available.  I usually used .2th's of a grain more powder than my loads using Bullseye.  Good luck

troystaten

14S&W likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Texasref Mon Sep 02, 2024 7:41 am

Titegroup burns really hot due to the nitrocelluose content. In my experience you will always have some unburned powder on you also. It also has a very small band width from lightest to highest. That being said, as a faster powder it's a good choice for 45. 

W231 would be a good choice for virtually every caliber you might load if you wanted to stock only one powder.

Of the powders you listed, N310 would be and is my choice for 45ACP. I currently load 200SWC over 4.2gns. (This is in order to cycle the sight mounted on top). You could actually load 3.7gns for your basic target load using the same 200SWC if shooting iron sights. 
I always start with the lightest load listed in the V310 data, but usually end up some where in the middle. Never the highest.

It is not a good choice for 38SPCL in my opinion. Just too fast.
For 38SPCL I settled on Accurate #5. A little slower with a softer recoil impulse.

Hope this helps.

Texasref

Back to top Go down

Post by 14S&W Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:58 am

Several years ago Bullseye disappeared (again) and I switched to WW 231 for wadcutters and found 3.0-3.2 grains to be at least as accurate as Bullseye plus it seems to always be available.   I use 231 now for a lot of my .38 Special loads.  I will add I have tried VV N320 with some 130 grain FMJ’s as well as 158 grain LSWC’s and accuracy was excellent.   

I use VV N320 primarily for 9mm for the softer recoil and clean burn.  I bought enough 231 to last me a few years.

14S&W

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Mon Sep 02, 2024 10:23 am

Back in the day, High Master Ralph Talbot was a big proponent of WST. It worked for him. I tried it and it left a residue of gritty unburned powder. I probably wasn't doing something right, like a crimp that wasn't tight enough. I got soured on it. I recently bought 4 lbs. of Bullseye and have a new 8 lb. jug, as well. When and if I ever run out, I'll probably go with Titegroup because I could use it for my pistol rounds and 12 ga. shotgun shells. I already miss my Alliant powders, like American Select, e3, as well as, Bullseye. BTW, one of my buddies likes Accurate #2.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Mon Sep 02, 2024 12:21 pm

Greetings,

My recent testing of TiteGROUP offered excellent results.

Good groups with the 0.452" 200 SWC Lead Cast are well inside the ten-ring at 50 yards.

0.452" 185 JHP shoot smaller groups.

Certainly worth buying a pound to test.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

shanneba likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippy Mon Sep 02, 2024 1:12 pm

Sunil - as you're a Rhode Island guy - go to D&L in Warwick, they have 8lb kegs of TiteGroup in stock (in warehouse) https://www.dlshootingsupplies.com/hodgdon-powder-co-inc/0-16774. Also while you're there they have Remington LPP in stock at some of the best prices around (if you're in need).

Zippy

Sunil P Verma likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by S148 Mon Sep 02, 2024 1:46 pm

There's some data for 38 Special wadcutters below. I know, not 158 gr bullets, but maybe useful anyway.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/new-38special-wadcutter-powder/498967

Some data for 45 185 grain jacketed bullets here:

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/loads-for-the-bullseye-shooter/99418

S148

Sunil P Verma and brand-new like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunil P Verma Mon Sep 02, 2024 2:26 pm

S148 wrote:There's some data for 38 Special wadcutters below. I know, not 158 gr bullets, but maybe useful anyway.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/new-38special-wadcutter-powder/498967

Some data for 45 185 grain jacketed bullets here:

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/loads-for-the-bullseye-shooter/99418

Thanks for these links.  I was impressed by the data for the W231 powder.  I am also not very familiar with it but it seems to shoot very well.  Also a bunch of shooters have suggested it on this thread.

Last edited by Sunil P Verma on Mon Sep 02, 2024 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sunil P Verma

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunil P Verma Mon Sep 02, 2024 2:28 pm

Zippy wrote:Sunil - as you're a Rhode Island guy - go to D&L in Warwick, they have 8lb kegs of TiteGroup in stock (in warehouse) https://www.dlshootingsupplies.com/hodgdon-powder-co-inc/0-16774. Also while you're there they have Remington LPP in stock at some of the best prices around (if you're in need).

I was just there!  They are selling a case of CCI SV for $349 so I had to pick one up.  That same case was $700 in 2022.  His powder supply was pretty minimal but the store was full of primers and 22lr ammo, unlike a few years ago.

Sunil P Verma

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:04 pm

james r chapman wrote:I use 231 and/or Trailboss for 158 gr DR loads.

I have been trying to find Trailboss for awhile. Any sources?

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Tue Sep 03, 2024 3:19 pm

Powder valley has tightgroup on sale for $35 lb. Right now. A powder that goes unused is accurate N100. It is close to vv N310 on most burn charts. If you search for threads started by me you'll find one where I tested several loads with the powder using 180 and 200gr. Lead

Powder is pretty much around online and cheap at today's prices.

Found the thread

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t19900-nitro-100nf?highlight=N100nf
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Tallthinliar Tue Sep 03, 2024 8:08 pm

Bruno’s has some in stock

https://www.brunoshooters.com/?s=Bullseye+

Tallthinliar

BE Mike, 243winxb, PhotoEscape and Ongentho like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 243winxb Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:54 pm

All my handguns are getting  W244, good or bad. 

Bought 10 lbs @ $ 25 each.

I would  not want 8 lbs of Bullseye around.  Same as C-4.
243winxb
243winxb

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:21 pm

243winxb wrote:All my handguns are getting  W244, good or bad. 

Bought 10 lbs @ $ 25 each.

I would  not want 8 lbs of Bullseye around.  Same as C-4.
Actually, C4 is very stable until paired with a detonator. Set on fire, it burns.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Goose likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix Thu Sep 19, 2024 4:13 pm

any of the shotgun powders work really well in the 45, but also some are hard to find at the moment.  My Fathers Pet load 5 grains of 700X 185 grn SWC
Cmysix
Cmysix

Pinetree likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimsair Sun Sep 29, 2024 6:32 pm

Titegroup works well but is dirty. My favorite powder in 45 and 40 s&w is WST. It's clean and very consistent.

jimsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next